Brainy Skills Synonyms and Antonyms is a reading comprehension game made to help children and young adults learn the differences in words that have similar or opposite meaning. The game is a great interactive tool for students to use with a teacher, therapist, parent, or caregiver. It can also be used independently, however, the concepts are initially best learned in conjunction with some form of support and assistance from teaching. Its format is an exciting new way to help readers of all ages develop and improve their reading comprehension abilities.
This app was created, developed and written by a certified speech language pathologist with many years of hands on experience with a variety of clients with different needs. Young and older school age children as well as adults both typically developing and special needs can benefit greatly from this app.
Brainy Skills Synonyms and Antonyms is a simple game to practice words that are either synonyms or antonyms. First, read a simple sentence and have the student choose the correct word by tapping on the correct answer from the two choices. Next, work your way up the scoreboard. Last, master all of the synonyms or antonyms throughout 20 levels of gameplay. Each level enhances a student's skills important for decoding language with words that have the same or opposite meaning. Motivate the player to beat their score each time they play and get to the highest score.
Easy to adapt as needed by parents, teachers, and therapists for a variety of skill levels, and may be read aloud to your students if needed. Students can play on their own or with a caretaker, or assistant to guide them along and practice basic oral reading skills.
• Students who need repetitive skill based exercises
• Reading comprehension skills review
• Synonym or Antonym practice with increased or decreased complexity
• Problem solving with contextual clues and inferencing
• Skills in everyday situations and conversations
• Understanding and answering Synonym and/or Antonym style words
• Featuring a variety of reasoning, prediction, sequential order questions and more…
This app is an excellent teaching tool for a variety of ages of children, students, or special needs population, with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Pervasive Developmental Delay (PDD-NOS), Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, developmental delays, and all language and speech delays. It can also be used to reinforce lessons through repetition.
• Over 400+ Homophone questions, always in random order
• 20 levels ranging from easy to difficult as the levels increase
• Motivationally animated voice feedback after responses
• Brainy Bonus after every 5 correct questions
• Exciting game format
• Basic reading comprehension
• 15, 30, 45, 60 second Timer option
Helps players improve reading comprehension skills while building confidence to score high!
Try Brainy Skills Synonyms and Antonyms and make it easier to teach these skills to your developing reader.
• Added complete answer randomization
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
You need to proof read your antonyms. So far I found a few errors, such as an antonym for “antique” is not “old”.
I couldn’t ask for more!
As an SLP I love this app as do my students. You can find apps that help you track progress, etc; however, I have found none more stimulating than this. This goes for other Brainy Skills apps. Really, for the price I couldn’t ask for more.
Kids Love it.....BUT
As an SLP, it would be helpful if I could assign player names before we begin play. I would also like multiple player mode for when I have two or more students in a session.
Some of the items don’t really make sense - for example ‘Boat - Airplane’ - these words are not antonyms. There are others like this, but I didn’t write them down. I will next time.
Thanks for “listening”.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- A Brainy Choice, Inc.
- 16.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 A Brainy Choice, Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.