The DB Secure Authenticator app adds an additional layer of security to online banking services provided by Deutsche Bank (DB). Following the latest update, the app now supports biometric authentication.
DB Secure Authenticator provides customers with a two-factor authentication solution for logging into accounts and for authorising transactions. For signing transactions on Deutsche Bank’s Online and Mobile banking platforms, customers from Germany can use the photoTAN app, which can be downloaded from the app store.
There is a choice of 4 functions within the app:
1. Scan QR Code: Using your phone’s camera, a QR-code is scanned on-screen and a numeric response code is provided. The code may be used for logging into a DB banking application or for authorising transactions.
2. Generate a One-Time Password (OTP): On request, the app generates a numeric code which may be used for logging into a DB banking application.
3. Challenge / Response: When speaking with a DB customer service agent, an 8-digit number provided by the agent is entered into the app and a response code is provided. This function is used for customer identification via the telephone.
4. Authorising transactions: If enabled, Push Notifications can be received to inform the user of outstanding transactions. When the app is next opened the transaction details are displayed, and can be authorized without the need to scan a QR-code or type a code into the online banking application.
Access to DB Secure Authenticator is controlled either via a 6 digit PIN, which you choose on first launch of the app or by using the device's biometric functionalities, such as fingerprint or facial recognition.
Following the PIN setup, you are required to activate the device. This is done by either entering a provided Registration ID or by scanning two QR-codes through the online activation portal.
We have updated the DB Secure Authenticator app with further enhancements to make it more secure and even easier to use. This release includes some minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Incompatible with anything beyond iOS 13.0
If you have iOS 13.1, do not even play around with the idea of installing. This app instantly crashes after you tap on it. It is really sad too, since this app is essential to employees who need to login to certain applications to do their daily tasks. For it to be completely incompatible with anything beyond iOS 13.0 is inexcusable. Especially since iOS 13.1 has been in beta since the beginning of September. A word of the wise to any who wish to update, but need this app, DON’T!! The developers need to get on the ball and update the app.
Dysfunctional & Underdeveloped
I’ve been told by DB that it’s ‘required’ to download this. Yet, all it does is spin the account holder in circles. I’ve been trying to buy train tickets online for a business trip, and my half-finished purchase ‘times-out’ because the application can not handle the data processing fast enough. Now I’m unsure how to even go-about making any online purchases. Yes, online safety is important, but this is a waste of time since it’s more of a dysfunctional barrier than anything
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, some additional steps are required in order to increase the security of the service we provide and to comply with EU regulations. However, we are always seeking ways to improve our processes and will take your feedback into account for our future releases.
Why would DB do this?
Just give us an RSA token like everyone else on the street! Why force us to use this buggy multi-step nuisance?
Why does it take minutes just to log in to an already notoriously slow portal? And then you get logged off after 15 minutes and have to do it all over again!
Have DB’s web designers ever talked to their users? Do they not have enough money to hire engineers who have heard of use acceptance testing?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Deutsche Bank AG
- 77.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, Basque, Catalan, Galician, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2018 Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt am Main
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.