Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Remove ads
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
Legible is an adjective that means “easily readable.” You can use it to describe the new and improved Word of the Day!
Ratings and Reviews
I don't really use the app much but I know it's a really good and popular app. However there is something really bothering me and is the reason why I don't use the app much. Like the app has push notifications but I don't know why because I haven't gotten a notification from the app and who knows how long. And notifications don't even pop up on the app let alone getting push notifications of the word of the day. That's another thing, I want to or give us the options of getting push notifications of word of the day. Please make these changes so I can be an active user of this app and not someone who has an app on a phone but never uses it.
Fair App, But Not Great.
The basic app is far better than the upgrade. The upgrade is an entirely different version of Dictionary and won't even allow you to use it in landscape mode. You're stuck in portrait mode and the upgrades are not worth the price. Even the basic app is overdone with extras that are useless. I went back to using the basic app after deleting the upgrade.
Additional Note: Many of the functions (I paid for) are no longer working. For example, the "rhyming dictionary" function no longer works and the "restore purchase" button has been turned off. Until these issues are addressed, I cannot upgrade my score or recommend this app to anyone.
Its a really great dictionary
If you’re on your iPhone or read your iPad holding it portrait. The problem for me is that it won’t rotate to landscape. Personally I read books using landscape rotation on my iPad. I researched how to get it to rotate with no success. I also wrote to the company, explained the situation and asked if there was a way to to get it to rotate. Its a hassle to have to turn it especially if you’re reading historical novels. I did receive a
Kind response asking me what the issue is. I explained again and then correspondence ended. I use it once in a while.
Developer Response ,
Unfortunately we don't have a landscape mode for our iPad app right now. I will forward your feedback along to the app team to consider for future updates. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, Dictionary.com Support
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 199.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade $2.99
- set of 100 voice to text searches $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.