Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Remove ads
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
Voice. noun. Something you can now use when searching for the definition of a word.
Our push notifications just got a whole lot better too. Travel anywhere in the world and receive real-time notifications and alerts from Dictionary.com.
You may also notice our Word of the Day has had a makeover. Check out the polished new look!
Ratings and Reviews
I don't really use the app much but I know it's a really good and popular app. However there is something really bothering me and is the reason why I don't use the app much. Like the app has push notifications but I don't know why because I haven't gotten a notification from the app and who knows how long. And notifications don't even pop up on the app let alone getting push notifications of the word of the day. That's another thing, I want to or give us the options of getting push notifications of word of the day. Please make these changes so I can be an active user of this app and not someone who has an app on a phone but never uses it.
Core functionality works but UX is atrocious
How do you make a dictionary app, have every word on screen be a live link to the definition of that word, and then leave out any sort of ‘Back’ functionality?? Can I tell you how many times I’ve looked up a word, then tried to scroll down the definition only to accidentally hit the word “the” or “an” and have the app leave my page to show me the definition of “the”—and then not let me go back to my original word? How about EVERY SINGLE TIME I USE THIS APP.
Also desperately needs to support split-screen view. How many use cases do you think there are where a user would want to have this app open alongside another app they were working on? Probably the vast majority.
Does this app show you definitions of words and include a thesaurus? Yes it does and so for that it gets more than 1-star. But the experience of actually using this app is miserable.
Landscape view for iPad? Please‽
I’m looking for an improved dictionary app for my iPad, and downloaded this app, as it was featured by the App Store as an iPad dictionary, however it is only usable in portrait view.
This small limit of function, unfortunately, makes the whole app useless to me on my iPad, which i use with a laptop case attachment at my desk, so rotating to landscape is really inconvenient when I’m back & forth between apps working.
Let me know if the app is updated and improved for ipad usage and i may just come back for all the other features offered in the app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are always looking for ways to improve our user's experience, and will certainly pass this along your suggestions to our team, for consideration in future updates. Thanks for using our app!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 199.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade $2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade $2.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade $1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade $2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade $1.99
- Power Pack Upgrade $4.99
- Expert English $4.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade $2.99
- Idioms $2.99