The most comprehensive German - English reference work from PONS, with 930,000 headwords, phrases and translations!
Do you read and write German texts, newspapers and magazines? Or do you frequently check on a word whilst reading or writing e-mails, letters, presentations, trade articles in German… focusing on the widest range of topics? The PONS Dictionary German - English PREMIUM has been designed for professionals and offers quick and reliable help!
About the contents:
• Current and comprehensive vocabulary containing more than 390,000 headwords and phrases and more than 540,000 translations
• With professional terminology from the worlds of business, computer science, law and natural sciences
• With context examples, information on language use, inclusion of all styles: from colloquial to literary and lots of information on grammar
• Detailed examination of British and American language usage and of the regional differences in language that prevail in Austria and Switzerland
• Contains both language directions (German-English and English-German)
• With IPA phonetics
What can the app do?
• This application provides 100% offline functionality.
• Optimised multitasking on the iPad: Slide Over lets you use a second app without ever leaving the first app. Use Split View to open and use two apps simultaneously, allowing you to, for example, look something up in the dictionary while reading your emails or writing messages.
• 3D touch support: tap a keyword lightly on the iPhone and see a preview of the dictionary entry with Peek. Tap on the icon for the PONS dictionary app to open the menu with the main dictionary functions (Quick Actions) and navigate directly to the chosen function within the dictionary.
• For the visually impaired and the blind! Activate the VoiceOver screen reader function to have the selected function keys and dictionary entry elements read out aloud.
• Direct look-up: Simply select a text in Safari, tap the share button and choose a dictionary. All of the words in the text that can be looked-up are then displayed.
• Look-ups from other applications: Copy individual words or whole sentences to the Clipboard, switch back to the dictionary app and individually look up all the words.
• Learn vocabulary: You can define words that you would like to learn as a vocabulary card. This allows vocabulary to be learned quickly and effectively.
• Listen to numerous keywords spoken by native speakers and practise your pronunciation: available for German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian.
• Use the full-text search to find examples.
PONS has been developing green materials for learning languages for life for over 40 years: from classic dictionaries and grammar aids to audio and software language courses right up to free online services.
© AnglianArt - Fotolia.com
Hi there, in this update we have improved the experience on new iPhones and iPads, as well. Here we go! Ándale! Los geht’s! Let’s look up words…
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Underpowered for the price
The raw dictionary capabilities of PONS are great. I use it a lot and it has most of the words I need. I've been using some version of it for 6 years.
However, it has a long history of underwhelming development. First, it doesn't provide pronunciation for all words, which is ridiculous at the price.
Second, it is always behind in development. They focus on tricks and trash rather than what is useful. Example: You can use a pen to enter words, but it's very flaky and ultimately a big waste of time. So they have wasted their time on very poor handwriting support. However, they have no support for iOS 9 -- you can't split the screen with another app, there are no keyboard shortcuts for the iPad Pro, etc. All of that would have been really helpful. This has been the history for at lest 6 years across several platforms.
The bottom line is that it is an excellent dictionary, stuck inside a very poor dictionary engine (which is shared by many dictionary apps). And someone made a bad decision about eliminating so many of the pronunciations.
I shelled out $50 for this app, assuming it gave highly accurate translations and nuances of words and phrases. I’ve shared many of these with native German speakers and they are AGHAST at how utterly fallacious many of the translations and renderings of phrases are. Quick example: one does not say “Spachtel” for a cooking spatula. My hotel clerk, from whom I needed a spatula yesterday for my kitchenette, had no idea what I was on about and was aghast at the dictionary. The proper word is “Pfannenwender.” Don’t get me started on the various phrases. It’s indeed upsetting to pay so much money for a product, which has all the trappings of accuracy and rigor, only to discover its many flagrant, egregious mistranslations and infelicities!
Developer Response ,
Hello, we regret that you're not satisfied with the PONS Wörterbuch Bibliothek.
Definitely not worth it
Slow starting app, very basic words and almost 90% of them with no pronunciation, no verb conjugations, and many definitions are just one or two words!
It is by no means a dictionary. Really not. There are many better and cheaper apps out there with more functionality.
I wish I could have a refund..
To developer: I thought PONS is a good and respected company. Now I don't feel the same. You're not only loosing a customer, you're destroying your reputation.
Developer Response ,
Dear Greenirani, we are sorry you are not satisfied with the dictionary. We would like to speak to you more about the issues, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Could you provide us with some screenshots for some words which you had the mentioned issues with?
Alternatively, if you would prefer a refund, please send us a copy of your proof of purchase via apple, as well as your full name and bank account details. We will then reimburse you. Thank you and kind regards.
- PONS GmbH
- 300.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 PONS
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.