For many years, language learners have trusted our PONS dictionaries. With the PONS app on your smartphone or tablet, you can find the right translation quickly and at any time.
The PONS dictionary library works 100% offline.
Select the dictionary library for your app! Find the dictionary to suit your individual situation: If you are going away on holiday and want to just quickly look up a word or two, then the BASIS dictionary is the right choice for you. If you feel safer with a range of medium-sized vocabulary then choose the CONCISE or ADVANCED dictionary. If you write foreign-language texts professionally, then you probably need a more comprehensive dictionary, such as BUSINESS or PREMIUM.
Discover dictionaries in a range of different languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, German as a Foreign Language, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Greek, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Turkish.
Functions of the dictionaries:
• Direct look-up: Simply select a text in Safari, tap the share button and choose a dictionary. All of the words in the text that can be looked-up are then displayed.
• Look-ups from other applications: Copy individual words or whole sentences to the Clipboard, switch back to the dictionary app and individually look up all the words.
• Learn vocabulary: You can define words that you would like to learn as a vocabulary card. This allows vocabulary to be learned quickly and effectively! (Optimized for the ADVANCED English, French, Italian and Spanish dictionaries.)
• Synchronization via iCloud: access favourites, search history and vocabulary cards (in the dictionaries) with any device logged in to your Apple ID.
• Listen to numerous keywords spoken by native speakers and practise your pronunciation. (Available for German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian)
• Use the full-text search to find examples.
Ideal for everyday, travel, leisure use (the most important vocabulary)
100,000–120,000 keywords, phrases & translations
Languages: German - English, German - French, German - Italian, German - Spanish, German - Portuguese, German - Russian,
Ideal for everyday, leisure, business use (medium-sized vocabulary)
285,000–295,000 keywords, phrases & translations
Languages: English - Brazilian Portuguese, English - French, English - Italian, English - Polish, English - Russian, English - Spanish, German - English, German - French, German - Italian, German - Spanish, German - Polish, German - Russian, German - Turkish, Spanish - Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish - Italian
Ideal for every day, university, business (large vocabulary)
338.000 - 775.000 keywords, phrases & translations
Languages: German - English, German - French, German - Italian, German - Spanish, German - Dutch
Ideal for business (large vocabulary with emphasis on business vocabulary)
571.000 - 800.000 keywords, phrases & translations
Languages: German - English, German - French, German - Spanish
Ideal for professional users (the most comprehensive PONS vocabulary collection)
685.000 - 930.000 keywords, phrases & translations
Languages: German - English, German - French, German - Italian, German - Spanish, German - Greek, German as a foreign language
PONS has been developing green materials for learning languages for life for over 40 years: from classic dictionaries and grammar aids to audio and software language courses right up to free online services.
Hi there, in this update we have improved the experience on new iPhones and iPads, as well. Here we go! Ándale! Los geht’s! Let’s look up words…
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Useful for comparing Pons dictionaries
I used this to compare the various Pons German-English dictionaries, and then purchased their Advanced edition.
I would never buy again and beware that if you buy a dictionary inside the app yoy cannot download the standalone app with the same dictionary
Terrible customer service, only apologies and nosolutions
Extensive but crude
The dictionaries are great, but the app is terrible.
1. It looks bad.
2. Flashcards are pretty limited (only 20 words at a time).
3. No inflection for german. For example 'brachtest', 2nd person singular for 'bringen' pretäritum is impossible to find.
4. No conjugations for german verbs.
5. The $60 you pay for a dictionary here does not mean you can use the desktop version too, and of course it doesn't sync flash cards or anything.
In summary, this is an app from the 90s.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- PONS GmbH
- 198.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 PONS
- In-App Purchases
- PONS Dictionary German $22.99
- Dictionary German PREMIUM $49.99
- Wörterbuch Deutsch PREMIUM $22.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.