Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- Offers In-App Purchases
A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
• Fixed issue with PiP window not loading after tapping on a system notification.
• Fixed issue that could allow play position to be reset after returning from background
• Fixed issue with retrying failed downloads
Ratings and Reviews
Use it above other apps
But I still have feature request that seems to go no where: episode queuing. I subscribe to WAY more podcasts than I can actually listen to, and I seldom listen to every episode of any podcast. I go through my new episodes every time I update looking for new episodes and decide which ones I might be actually interested in hearing. I would like to be able to instruct the app to play any episode NEXT while I’m listening, thus building a queue of various episodes to play from different podcasts based on what I am most interested in hearing. Currently, I have no way to note or designate what I want to listen to next in the app - the best I can do is note what podcast and episode to play next in Notes or jot it down. The lack of such a simple convenience mystifies me. It seems like such a simple thing to be able to string together a queue of episodes to play in desired sequence without having to stop and hunt for a new episode to play after the one I’m listening to ends. I like to listen when I’m doing other things, often with my hands, and it is annoying to interrupt my flow repeatedly to search for and start the next episode I want to hear. Please give me this feature!
Great for organization & customization. Poor sound quality.
Downcast is the best for customizing and organizing your feeds. It's always easy to know when you have new episodes waiting. Power user features like deciding which episodes to stream and which to download, starting episode later in to skip ads, and especially the ability to save an episode's audio file to the cloud make this my current choice for podcasts. It can be a little buggy at times, but my only two complaints are difficult to read screens (small text makes quick glances while driving difficult) and poor sound quality, especially at high-speed.
I just spent several months using Overcast and fell in love with its sound quality and easy to read screens. Unfortunately that app's organization is horrible. For example, you have to delete an episode in order for it to be considered "played". Because I listen to & save episodes from several Podcasts, this made it impossible to tell when a new episode was available without looking at each and every podcast episode list. This annoyance alone is what finally forced me to give up on Overcast and return to Downcast.
I wish I could have Overcast's sound quality merged with Downcast's organization & customization tools. I would gladly pay top price for that.
Best feature set for power users, but....
I've been using this app on and off for 2~3 years. Usually interchanged with Overcast. Overcast's polish has always been much better than anyone's else's but its feature set is weaker than Downcast. For a while feature set (queue for download vs queue for stream, chromecast) and better management interface has won over overcast's polish. Now however, particularly with the batter drain issue; which they claim to have fixed but clearly haven't, is making this app unusable. I can't play podcasts for too long without power connected to the phone, and if I need to be away from an outlet I better not use this app and it better not be on in the background or eat my battery alive. I'm on an iPhone 6 with a new battery, not that that was the issue in the first place because you could feel how hot the phone was getting even though it was locked and playing downcast in the background. I'm switching to overcast because I can't have this keep happening. Fix the issue downcast, or I'm staying with overcast.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 44.4 MB
- Requires iOS 14.7 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.7 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.7 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2022 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip $2.99
- Inspiring Tip $11.99
- Motivating Tip $5.99
- Galvanizing Tip $8.99
Get things done within this app using just your voice.