eBird Mobile makes it easy to record the birds you see in the field, and seamlessly link these observations with eBird--a global online database of bird records used by hundreds of thousands of birders around the world. This free resource makes it easy to keep track of what you see, while making your data openly available for scientific research, education, and conservation. eBird Mobile is the only app that passes information directly from the iOS device to your eBird account on the web.
- Enter bird observations from any location around the world.
- Full global taxonomy based on The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World.
- Common names available in local languages (e.g., Portuguese names in Brazil or in Portugal).
- Checklists customized for your location and time of year, showing most likely species based on eBird data.
- Rare species flagged during data entry and on the checklist.
- "Record as you go" functionality for incremental list keeping and counting while birding.
- GPS enabled location plotting to ensure accuracy.
- Map tools that enable selecting from hundreds of thousands of eBird "Hotspots."
- Full offline functionality, enabling use in places with limited or no Internet connection.
- Trip and Day list functionality that makes it easy to keep track of your species list on a particular outing.
- Support for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- Entire app translated to German, Mandarin, French, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Turkish, and Dutch.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Much to improve
This app is overall incredible. But some things don’t make any sense: why not let you search for a species within a particular radius from yourself etc.
Biggest peeve is with the keyboard. When you want to manually enter a number of birds, so tap on the species and it opens into the full screen counter for that species, the keyboard that opens is alphabetical, not numerical, requiring yet another tap to get it entered. Also, it would be cool if the app would allow you to sort in the birds you already found to the top of the lists (it’s often the case that after seeing one group of Canada geese, I see another), but keep the yet unseen birds in the species or alphabetical lists below. This would offer faster access. When seeing a lot of birds at a time, one doesn’t want to have to scroll or input letter by letter to bring a species back up to add to.
Underside shots of more birds would be really helpful, too.
Also, ability to message with other birders by consent would also be cool cuz sometimes you don’t meet in the field but wish you could find out more. Many thanks!
One more thing: you should make track location OFF as there default.
Women and ppl of color are often afraid to post exactly where they regularly go or their homes, so also making it possible to offer the tracking details to you at Cornell but obscure them from the public by default would also be great.
A pic is worth a thousand words!
I would give this app 5 stars if it had the ability to add media and access photos while using the app. I don’t like that I have to go to the website to add my photos and then they aren’t visible when accessing my checklist from the app.
User-friendly & Very Handy in the field
I faithfully use this app to create 99% of my birdwatching lists. I use Voice Record app when there’s a bird I hear but don’t recognize. And I keep Merlin Bird ID app as a “field guide” on my phone.
Where this app shines is the Explore tab! This feature keeps improving and becoming more helpful! I mostly use the Explore tab to search for hotspots in the vicinity I wish to visit. It’s become a very handy feature in the field! I’m looking forward to seeing what other features they add to the Explore tab!
The app does not offer the full features and experience that the eBird website offers (I do not think it could or even should), but it is nonetheless a valuable tool to use in my birding hobby!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cornell University
- 82.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.1 or later.
English, Akan, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Cornell University
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.