ErgoArmMeter is a professional inclinometer for measuring and recording arm elevation during work. It is shown by research that work with elevated arm may lead to shoulder/neck disorders. Ergonomists have been using inclinometers to measure arm elevation, which have a better precision compared to self-reports and observations of arm elevation. With ErgoArmMeter, arm elevation during work time can be measured easily and with low cost. ErgoArmMeter is validated that it has similar accuracy compared to other former validated inclinometers.
How to use (also accessible in the app):
Attach the phone using a sport armband on the upper arm, with the upper edge just below the deltoid muscle, then:
1. Start a measurement by clicking “+”, fill in a project name and a recording number and “Create” the trial.
2. Conduct calibration by leaning to the side, holding some weight (e.g. a 2 kg dumbbell) with a straight-arm, and click “Calibrate”, keep the posture for 2 seconds.
3. Click “Start” to start the measurement, time is shown, and the arm elevation angle is recorded.
4. Press “Stop” to end the measurement. To view the results, click on the trial name in the trial list.
5. Click “Share” to send the results and the whole data set via email.
Since ErgoArmMeter uses accelerometer and gyroscope in the phone, it requires the phone remain unlocked to stay functioning. It is recommended that you change “Auto-Lock” function in your phone, via “Settings-General-AutoLock-Never”, and then use the phone to measure arm elevation as long as you need.
ErgoArmMeter is designed be used in evaluating workplace before and after interventions. It can also be used for educational purpose. Together with other information about the work task, it can add valuable information for risk assessments of a certain work task.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.