An identification guide for the shore-fish fauna of the Caribbean and adjacent areas. This App is the second of a set of 2 portable identification guides for Apple touch-screen devices that will cover the shore-fish faunas of the tropical American marine regions on both sides of the central American Isthmus: the Tropical Eastern Pacific, the Greater Caribbean (Caribbean and adjacent areas).
This stand-alone App, which was adapted from the 2012 website Shorefishes of the Greater Caribbean: online information system (www.stri.org/sfgc), works independently of the internet.
• Complete English and Spanish interfaces. Connect to the Spanish interface by setting Spanish in the language preference of your device.
• Covers 1,693 species, with over 8,200 images to help identify them. Users can select to work with either the entire fauna, or with the Diver Group, a subset of 919 species that could be found within SCUBA diving depths on or adjacent to reefs in different parts of the region.
• A page for each species includes a detailed description (with information on its form, color, size, habitat and depth range), 1 or more species images (primarily photographs), key-features that distinguish it from similar species, a link to a page displaying similar species, and a map of its regional range.
• Browse among alphabetic lists of species and species-within-families, changing name-sorting between scientific and common (first or last) names.
• A search engine uses any combination of generic common names, location, habitat, and fish features (shape, color pattern and colors) to identify fishes.
• A glossary of scientific terms is linked to each species page.
• The notebook module allows (1) review of recently visited species pages and (2) construction of lists that record observations about fishes. New lists can be assembled from scratch or by making blank copies of existing lists. Lists are organized in folders, and are downloadable by email.
• The iPad version includes glossary images, and high resolution range maps with dots indicating site records.
• New for this version: option to work with either the entire fauna or a diver subgroup; 94 more species and almost 50% more images; habitat added to the fish ID search engine.
Ratings and Reviews
The only app that does the job.
If you see a saltwater fish in the Caribbean/Gulf region and you want an app to help you identify it, this is a MUST have. No other app comes close. With patience, I’ve used it to identify over 50 different species out of Panama City Beach, FL with 100% confidence.
The best and better than any book
This is by far the best fish app for the Caribbean. It is even better than the best reference books. An incredible resource. To think that people pay for others such as the Audubon guide when this is free!
Ideal app for divers
I have told every diver I know about this app. It is amazing for fish ID, with multiple photos, complex search parameters, and tons of info. Best of all it works offline! It's comparable to the Humann/DeLoach Reef Fish ID books--high praise. Thanks Smithsonian!
- Smithsonian Institution
- 1.2 GB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.