A great and easy-to-use music notation editor on iOS. Flat is an app that let you create, edit, playback, print and export your sheet music and tabs. Cloud-based, you can also edit scores with your web browser and collaborate in real-time across devices with friends and colleagues.
Flat brings the following features among many others:
• Your music notation editor in your pocket with a clean and intuitive interface.
• Read and write music notation and guitar tabs, together.
• Real-time collaboration and offline edition if you lose your internet connection.
• Share online on Flat, or export to PDF, MIDI, and MusicXML.
• Print to AirPrint enabled printers.
• Over 100 instruments available, including Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
• Quickly input notation with our touch piano and drum pads.
• Hundreds of music notations available in multiple toolbars: notes, articulations, dynamics, measures, texts, etc.
• An easy way to add chords with a useful autocompletion.
• Transpose by key, interval, and tone.
• Choose what part to display when working on your score, with Continuous and Page View.
• And much more…
Once you're done composing, share your composition with a worldwide community of more than 1 million composers. Or simply print it, export it to PDF, MIDI or MusicXML files.
Premium features included in this app with our Flat Power offer (in-app purchase as a monthly or yearly subscription):
• Unlimited cloud storage, access and edit your scores on your iOS devices and with your web browser at flat.io
• Complete history with every single change you made using the app available in your account online
• Advanced export and printing: Print without the Flat branding on your pages. Export and Print individual parts, and use our automatic printing options like multi-measures rests.
• Layout and styles: Jazz/Handwritten music fonts, Automatic notes heads notes: Boomwhackers colors, Notes Names, Shape-Note (Aiken).
• Input music notes with your MIDI devices (USB and Bluetooth).
• Advanced audio options: parts volume and reverb
Terms for the in-app payments: Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase. Any used portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when a subscription to that publication is purchased.
Please feel free to contact our product team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or feedback regarding our app.
• Measure Repeat signs
• Bends (Full Pre-Bend, ½ Pre-Bend, Bend, ½ Bend, Release, ½ Release)
• Key signature: Option to change the key only for a single part
• New instruments: Wind Chimes and Contrabass clarinet
• Support for MusicXML 3.1 (Export & Import), plain XML files now use the .musicxml extension
• Chords keyboard: add a dedicated key for the diminished chords
• Various bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I absolutely like be this program! I have been using it for the past 4 years and it’s amazing that with a free account you can make 15 songs! Don’t get me wrong, I have had to delete a few to make space, but I think that’s a good amount! I would buy the full version online but I don’t have money of my own XD. I totally recommend this program! It’s so easy to use and has most everything you would need to write music! The only flaws I have ever seen are just the audio. Usually use pano for everything so it’s not a big issue for me, but some of the instruments sound very unreal. Recently. Have been making percussion pieces and the instruments don’t have the same feel. What I think would be awesome is if there was a way to put in your own sounds from garage band or something and Ben upload your own recorded sounds! Other than the sound quality, this has been the only program I have ever used! As a matter of fact, even though the sounds could be improved, they are at least better than every other pr gram for have used!
Good for pop songs, not for symphonies
Let me preface this by saying that this is my favorite music software. It is easy to use and if you know your way around, it will give you what you want.
That said, if you write a piece that is too big(more than about 3 minutes or two instruments), you start experiencing problems.
Let’s talk about my 200 measure Acapella medley. For starters, it takes an average of three tries and 90 seconds to get all of my instruments on screen. It regularly refuses to scroll and leaps back to the beginning of the piece for no reason whatsoever. Playback is consistently scratchy past measure 180 and it is getting hard to put in new notes because the app apparently does not want to click where I want it to click. Copying and pasting is also becoming an issue, as it sometimes refuses to highlight and sometimes inserts measures smack in the middle of the phrase I was trying to paste.
Long story short, this is a great website and I recommend this to anyone writing music. But emphasis on WEBSITE. The online website only has one of the aforementioned problems (jumping to the beginning).
Please make this app more phone-friendly. Hugs and kisses.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback! We made a lot of improvements since last year, have you tried one of our latest updates?
About the newest update...
I really think it was unnecessary to make it so you have to subscribe to change the playback volume for the instruments, when that feature is free to use on the website version. You probably did that because you realized people could cheat the system and gain access to the reverb option without subscribing, am I right? I'll confess I am one of those people who took advantage of this workaround, and while I see some reasoning in the change made in the newest update, I still feel like there was a better way to go about it.
Other than that I love this app; there aren't many MIDI programs like this that give you as many options for free as Flat does. However, while I will continue to use this app, I do genuinely feel you should bring back the option to change the playback volume.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback, that's great to hear! It's true that unlike our webapp, the audio mixer is included in our premium subscription right now. That's a choice we made to keep the interface simple in term of explaining what features are premium and the ones available for free.
- Tutteo Limited
- 131.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Tutteo Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Flat Power (Monthly) $9.99
- Flat Power (Yearly) $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.