A great and easy-to-use music notation editor on iOS. Flat is an app that let you create, edit, playback, print and export your sheet music and tabs. Cloud-based, you can also edit scores with your web browser and collaborate in real-time across devices with friends and colleagues.
Flat brings the following features among many others:
• Your music notation editor in your pocket with a clean and intuitive interface.
• Read and write music notation and guitar tabs, together.
• Real-time collaboration and offline edition if you lose your internet connection.
• Share online on Flat, or export to PDF, MIDI, and MusicXML.
• Print to AirPrint enabled printers.
• Over 100 instruments available, including Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
• Quickly input notation with our touch piano and drum pads.
• Hundreds of music notations available in multiple toolbars: notes, articulations, dynamics, measures, texts, etc.
• An easy way to add chords with a useful autocompletion.
• Transpose by key, interval, and tone.
• Choose what part to display when working on your score, with Continuous and Page View.
• And much more…
Once you're done composing, share your composition with a worldwide community of more than 2 million composers. Or simply print it, export it to PDF, MIDI or MusicXML files.
Premium features included in this app with our Flat Power offer (in-app purchase as a monthly or yearly subscription):
• Unlimited cloud storage, access and edit your scores on your iOS devices and with your web browser
• Complete history with every single change you made using the app available in your account online
• Advanced export and printing: Print without the Flat branding on your pages. Export and Print individual parts, and use our automatic printing options like multi-measures rests.
• Layout and styles: Jazz/Handwritten music fonts, Automatic notes heads notes: Boomwhackers colors, Notes Names, Shape-Note (Aiken).
• Input music notes with your MIDI devices (USB and Bluetooth).
• Advanced audio options: parts volume and reverb
Terms for the in-app payments: Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase. Any used portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when a subscription to that publication is purchased.
Please feel free to contact our product team at email@example.com if you have any questions or feedback regarding our app.
• The editor menu bar has been updated to be able to welcome new tools in future updates and stay consistent with our web editor.
• The "More notations" menu within the editor has been removed and its associated tools have been moved to the classic toolbar.
• Bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Music Creating software
This is an amazing app. It’s free for one thing, which is amazing unlike other software/apps and please do not change that. They have a cheap premium plan that gives you some extra but definitely not necessary features and helps support the devs. I use the app on the go and the website at home and both are amazing. You have access to all the features no pay walls, it’s laid out logically and easy to find things. If you don’t understand something there is a great help page with simple explanations. I only have two problems. One: The violin synthesizer isn’t the greatest. And 2: The app gets weird when you have >8 instruments or get too long of a composition. Also some features from the website need to move to the app (harmonics, line customization, written - in things like corde, and LH pizz for strings). Other then that, this is the best music notation app on the App Store.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for your review! Regarding these features that are only available in our website right now, they will be added in an upcoming release in our iOS app as well.
Good for most people
This app is great for if you just want to write something out quick. Obviously the phone isn't going to be most ideal method of composing music, but I feel like there are a few things here and there that could use some tweaking. Particularly with the guitar interface. I know I'm probably a minority when it comes to this, but I would like to use this so I can transcribe songs accurately, most of them being rock/metal songs, which are sometimes in different guitar/bass tunings like D standard, Eb standard or drop C, and while you can write in lower notes than what's accessible with standard E, it won't show up on the tablature, which, if you're someone who uses tablature primarily, can be a little inconvenient. So lower tunings for guitars/basses I think would be a welcome addition. Also, many of the guitar techniques that you can write out on the app won't happen during playback. For example, palm muting doesn't change the guitar sound, it just says that the notes are palm muted, bends and pre bends sometimes won't even appear in the music even after repeated attempts to add them in, and even when they do get added in, the notes will not bend during playback. Letting notes ring also doesn't do anything during playback, it just says to let the notes ring. Otherwise I'd say this is going to be fine for everyone else, which is why I gave it a 4 star rating even if I personally had some problems with it.
Good for pop songs, not for symphonies
Let me preface this by saying that this is my favorite music software. It is easy to use and if you know your way around, it will give you what you want.
That said, if you write a piece that is too big(more than about 3 minutes or two instruments), you start experiencing problems.
Let’s talk about my 200 measure Acapella medley. For starters, it takes an average of three tries and 90 seconds to get all of my instruments on screen. It regularly refuses to scroll and leaps back to the beginning of the piece for no reason whatsoever. Playback is consistently scratchy past measure 180 and it is getting hard to put in new notes because the app apparently does not want to click where I want it to click. Copying and pasting is also becoming an issue, as it sometimes refuses to highlight and sometimes inserts measures smack in the middle of the phrase I was trying to paste.
Long story short, this is a great website and I recommend this to anyone writing music. But emphasis on WEBSITE. The online website only has one of the aforementioned problems (jumping to the beginning).
Please make this app more phone-friendly. Hugs and kisses.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback! We made a lot of improvements since last year, have you tried one of our latest updates?
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Tutteo Limited
- 123 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Tutteo Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Flat Power (Monthly) $9.99
- Flat Power (Yearly) $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.