A great and easy-to-use music notation editor on iOS. Flat is an app that lets you create, edit, playback, print and export your sheet music and tabs. Cloud-based, you can also edit scores with your web browser and collaborate in real-time across devices with friends and colleagues.
Flat brings the following features among many others:
• Your music notation editor in your pocket with a clean and intuitive interface.
• Read and write music notation and guitar tabs, together.
• Real-time collaboration and offline edition if you lose your internet connection.
• Share online on Flat, or export to PDF, MIDI, MusicXML, MP3 and WAV.
• Print to AirPrint enabled printers.
• Over 100 instruments available, including Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass.
• Quickly input notation with our touch piano and drum pads.
• Hundreds of music notations available in multiple toolbars: notes, articulations, dynamics, measures, texts, etc.
• An easy way to add chords with a useful autocompletion.
• Transpose by key, interval, and tone.
• Choose what part to display when working on your score, with Continuous and Page View.
• And much more…
Once you're done composing, share your composition with a worldwide community of more than 2 million composers. Or simply print it, export it to PDF, MIDI, MusicXML, MP3 or WAV files.
Premium features included in this app with our Flat Power offer (in-app purchase as a monthly or yearly subscription):
• Unlimited cloud storage, access and edit your scores on your iOS devices and with your web browser
• Advanced export and printing: Print without the Flat branding on your pages. Export and Print individual parts, and use our automatic printing options like multi-measures rests.
• Layout and styles: Page dimensions, Spacing between score elements, Chords style, Jazz/Handwritten music fonts...
• Custom notes heads: Boomwhackers colors, Notes Names, Shape-Note (Aiken)…
• Keyboard shortcuts for your iPad keyboard.
• Input music notes with your MIDI devices (USB and Bluetooth).
• Advanced audio options: parts volume and reverb
Terms for the in-app payments: Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase. Any used portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when a subscription to that publication is purchased.
Please feel free to contact our product team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or feedback regarding our app.
Bug fixes :
- Various bug fixes and UI improvements
Ratings and Reviews
One piece of advice
This app is amazing, and is the best on the app store for music notation apps. Its amount of content, ease of access, and scope all outshadow its competitors. My only suggestion is an addition to your premium plan which I believe should have microtonal accidentals. This is because currently there is no real motive to get the plan, so an extra small incentive might help. Obviously these are not especially important to a normal person, but these would help certain composers and teach others a new way if writing music while providing a reason to actually get your plan. Of course, it might take a while to notate every instrument, so I advise only adding it for piano and strings, and maybe woodwinds and/or brass. These should encompass the plus and minus marks which are part of the Pythagorean tuning system, and also one-fourth and three-fourth flats and sharps. Thank you for your time.
Good for most people
This app is great for if you just want to write something out quick. Obviously the phone isn't going to be most ideal method of composing music, but I feel like there are a few things here and there that could use some tweaking. Particularly with the guitar interface. I know I'm probably a minority when it comes to this, but I would like to use this so I can transcribe songs accurately, most of them being rock/metal songs, which are sometimes in different guitar/bass tunings like D standard, Eb standard or drop C, and while you can write in lower notes than what's accessible with standard E, it won't show up on the tablature, which, if you're someone who uses tablature primarily, can be a little inconvenient. So lower tunings for guitars/basses I think would be a welcome addition. Also, many of the guitar techniques that you can write out on the app won't happen during playback. For example, palm muting doesn't change the guitar sound, it just says that the notes are palm muted, bends and pre bends sometimes won't even appear in the music even after repeated attempts to add them in, and even when they do get added in, the notes will not bend during playback. Letting notes ring also doesn't do anything during playback, it just says to let the notes ring. Otherwise I'd say this is going to be fine for everyone else, which is why I gave it a 4 star rating even if I personally had some problems with it.
A couple problems
This tool is really good for most things, but there are a couple problems with it I noticed pretty quickly. 1 - The free version of the alto sax sound is PAINFULLY out of tune. I tried arranging a marching band show, that includes sax features, and had to cut out the part just because of how horrible it sounds. I am not exaggerating at all, if it has a unison with any other part, it will completely ruin it. 2 - copy/pasting is weird. If I want a trumpet/trombone unison part, chances are they will not be playing the same octave. If I copy a part from the trumpet line and paste it to the trombone line, it would be a lot simpler if it just transposed an octave down to the trombone’s practical range instead of being 30 ledger lines above the staff. Either that, or allow moving more than one note at once, like if I select a measure and move it down, it would be simpler than having to select each note and pulling it down. These problems are definitely not deal-breakers, there is a lot of really good stuff with this app and these problems are kind of niche(I don’t think a lot of people use this for marching band and jazz band pieces). All in all, it’s a good app, it just has a few tiny problems that would make some people’s lives a little easier if they were fixed.
Developer Response ,
Hey, thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate it. We are sharing this with the tech team so we can enhance these aspects.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Tutteo Limited
- 127.5 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © Tutteo Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Flat Power (Monthly) $9.99
- Flat Power (Yearly) $49.99
- Flat Power (Yearly) $29.99
- Flat Power (Lifetime) $199.00
- Flat Power (Yearly) $39.99