Focus stacking is a technique in which you take multiple shots of the same scene—each shot focused at a different distance—and then combine them in focus stacking software to create a sharp image over much greater depth than would be possible with a single shot.
The software for stacking photos is simple and easy to use. But what about the process of taking the shots? How many shots should you take? On what distances should you focus? And what is the best aperture to use? This is where FocusStacker comes in, making guesswork a thing of the past. For the particular image sharpness standard that you specify, FocusStacker determines exactly what you need to know: the minimum number of shots to take, the distances to focus on, and the aperture to use.
FocusStacker is designed for use in landscape and architectural photography. In its speed, elegance and accuracy, it fits the needs of professional photographers, who’ll be happy to know that at its heart lies the sophisticated optimization algorithm originally developed for the OptimumCS-Pro app, adapted here to the taking of multiple shots. Yet it’s so easy to use that anyone can have a go at focus stacking.
1) FocusStacker is NOT designed for and is NOT suitable for close-up or macro photography.
2) For quality focus stacking software, try Zerene Stacker, http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/
3) You’ll need a camera that enables you to manually adjust focus and aperture, and a way to measure distance (e.g. a distance scale on a lens, or a camera that reads out focus distance, or a laser rangefinder, etc). And you’ll need a tripod.
4) FocusStacker is a calculating tool—it does not access or use the iPhone's or iPad's built-in camera.
5) Please be aware that focus stacking is best suited to static subjects.
6) Additional information is available at www.georgedouvos.com
This is a wee update to bring support for iOS 12 and the various new iPhone X models.
Don't forget all the Version 4.0 updates:
* The interface gets a cleaner look. Simply slide the pointers on the distance scale or the blur diameter scale to set inputs (the old slider “thumbs” are now gone). Note that you do not need to keep your finger on a pointer as you slide it — you can move your finger to the side as you slide, all the better to see where the pointer is pointing.
The pointers themselves also display digital readouts.
A warning is now displayed if your inputs are such that an excessively large number of shots would need to be taken (“excessively large” is defined in this app as >10).
Ratings and Reviews
A Must Have App for the Serious Photographer
How sharp do you want your final focused-stacked image to be? Let this app know and it will tell you what to do. It delivers perfect results every time.
Without this tool, you are merely guessing on the decisions you need to make.
How many shots? Where are the shots focused? What f/stop?
Yes, photography is an art, but this part of it is a science. So if you want to get the very best results from your camera and lens, do yourself a favor and get this app.
Nothing but a chart.
This is just and interacive chart. It does NOTHING! I paid $9.99 for a chart. Save your money.
It should be called Landscape stacker...
Too bad I discovered only after paying that is useless for macro.... And even for landscape the fact that you can not select the f stop you want to use also is a big problem, what if you want to use a 10 stops ND and use a specific f-stop? Or if you know that the sweet spot of your lens is different than the one suggested by the software? Also it will only work up to 10 stacks...
The developer, George Douvos, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- George Douvos
- 1.6 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 George Douvos
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.