Introducing Duplicates Monitor. A new powerful feature that helps Gemini 2 not only find duplicates that are already on your Mac, but also look out for new ones. Preventing future cluttering.
Gemini 2 detects duplicate and similar files in every corner of your Mac, including Photos, Music, and even external drives. And helps you free up tons of disk space.
Gemini 2: The Duplicate File Finder is brought to you by the team behind CleanMyMac X. Removing clutter and recovering disk space are our specialty, so we made a duplicate cleaner that does both like a pro.
Free up gigabytes of storage space:
- Find duplicate files of any kind: pics, music, docs, you name it
- Identify duplicate folders, too
- Delete duplicates on external drives and network volumes
- Monitor your Mac or separate folders for new duplicates and delete them right away
Organize your photos and music:
- Find duplicate photos in your Photos library
- Detect pictures that are similar, but not identical
- Spot iTunes and Music library duplicates
- Find similar music in iTunes and Music library (files that differ only by format or bit rate)
Save time picking out duplicate files:
- Trust Gemini to autoselect the copies and keep the originals intact
- See how similar files differ with the help of handy icons
- Add your own Smart Selection rules, like deleting the duplicates that are older
Never lose an important file by mistake:
- If you removed the wrong duplicate, put it back in a click
- Exclude certain files and folders from scan
- Move duplicates to a separate folder or onto a USB drive
- Replace copies with hardlinks to save space without deleting the files
Make finding duplicates less of a drag:
- Enjoy the sleek space-themed design
- Have fun with wacky achievements and ranks
- See if you can spot the Easter Egg!
And if you’re wondering what tech reviews say about Gemini 2, wonder no more: we’ve gathered some of them below.
WHAT MAC EXPERTS SAY
“I’ve been an active user of MacPaw’s Gemini software since its inception, and Gemini 2’s release today has made me fall in love with it all over again. In just the initial scan, Gemini 2 found more files and more places where I could intelligently clear and save space on my Mac.”
“If you want to clean up your Mac, but are trepidatious about digging around in your files and accidentally deleting something important, Gemini 2 has a lot to offer and makes the whole process very simple.”
“With Gemini 2 there’s little reason to fear duplicates. It has a polished, intuitive user interface and the brains to differentiate copies from originals by testing them against nearly a dozen different parameters. It’s also much faster, especially compared to digging through thousands of files and folders the old-fashioned way.”
SUBSCRIPTION AND PRICING
Some features are only partially available for non-paying users and can be unlocked with a Yearly Access plan. For example, the non-paying users can delete found duplicates only manually via Reveal in Finder feature and don’t have access to Smart Cleanup.
See the pricing details in the Information section under In-App Purchases.
Have questions? We are always here to help. Please message our support using the contact below.
- Duplicates Monitor is switched off by default until a folder is added to the monitoring and after a user’s confirmation.
- We’ve fixed a crash when Gemini 2 found huge audio file duplicates.
- Now Gemini 2 finds video duplicates on Catalina and higher macOS.
- Photo libraries aren’t added to the list of monitored locations, as Duplicates Monitor doesn’t support libraries monitoring.
- We’ve fixed an issue when the cleanup process stops at Photo library.
Ratings and Reviews
Very helpful, not perfect
I've tried many duplicate and similar file finders, and I find Gemini and Disk Drill to be the only ones worth using. They're nearly equal, with different strengths and weaknesses (Disk Drill doesn't do similars at all, but in my experience it is better at finding all duplicates in large sets on a single pass; you can make Gemini better by taking the smallest-file setting off of 'auto', but it's a pain to manage it manually all the time).
Gemini could use better options for sorting, filtering, and selecting, especially on similars. For example, being able to directly do things like "select all files that are smaller dimensions" -- it will eventually detect this pattern and include it in the 'auto'/'smart' selection in the future, but you can't toggle it directly (or create it directly!) which is extremely irritating. Another example: you can sort within individual groups by differening dimensions or file sizes, but it would be literally infinitely more useful to be able to 1) do this across all groups and 2) filter the result set on these criteria. After recovering data, for example, I want to be able to say "ONLY show me similar images that differ by dimension", because what I care about is trying to remove thumbnails and previews generated by photo management software and keep the largest version/original; I don't care about looking at all the similar, same-size masters from a set of burst images.
Developer Response ,
We'd like to thank you for taking the time to submit your feature request. We really appreciate your comments, as the only way we can improve our service to be the best is with your help. It’s good to know what you need or miss in Gemini 2.
Rest assured that our team is reviewing and evaluating every comment and every idea. We will do our best to make Gemini 2 convenient and tailored to your needs.
Great… but some crashes for large data scans
I was an owner/fan of Gemini vers 1.0 and have recently purchased this version as well. Despite the feedback below, I think its probably the best application for what it does.
Here’s what I think works really well, and what I think not so much:
- The duplicate detection is spot on. I’m always paranoid about it not actually selecting duplicate files. More often than not I trust but verify. I’ve never had it screw up the duplicate finding.
- The scanning works quickly.
- I’m enjoying the smart behavioral selection feature.
The Not so Well:
- It may be because I have a LOT of files to sort through, but the app crashes a lot with big scans (>50GB duplicates?).
- Its very slow sorting through those big scans.
- Its tedious to review findings. When sorting I can’t select multiple files within a file set. i.e. if it finds multiple versions of a particular file, and want to manually select or unselect for removal. It has to happen one at a time, and there’s a delay for each one.
- I love I can export detected duplicates to a text file, but I can’t actually bring those back into the application to re-process. If there’s a crash it doesn’t always remember my previous selections, and this file export requires me to use another tool to process and remove.
Great at finding duplicates and similars!
I just got rid of over 30G of duplicate files, some of which have been floating around for a decade or more. I found the interface fairly easy to use (though at times got a little mixed up and had to remind myself to select the one I want to DELETE, not KEEP!) It’s great at identifying duplicates… but don’t expect it to be 100% spot on. I did have to make some manual changes after the scan, and that did take a little time, but far LESS time than making a manual comparison to all files scattered across three hard drives. I would recommend always, ALWAYS, visually inspecting all matches before deleting. One thing I wish it would do, for when it finds duplicates scattered between two folders, is remember which folder you kept them in (much like it remembers whether you prefer older or newer, higher or lower resolution (or bitrate)). It’s probably a little bit more complex an algorithm to track, so I understand why it’s not part of the patterns it can detect. Also, it would be nice if it could flag any folders that were rendered empty after a purge, but I understand that, too, is probably above and beyond.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- MacPaw Inc.
- 45.8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © MacPaw Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Gemini 2: Yearly Access $19.99
- Gemini 2: Yearly Access $19.99
- Smart Cleanup $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.