Greenlight is a debit card for kids and teens that parents manage through an app. Parents can choose the exact stores where their children can spend, manage chores and allowances, set parent-paid interest rates on savings and more. Kids monitor balances, create savings goals and learn to make real world trade-off decisions.
Since Greenlight is a prepaid debit card, kids can’t spend what they don’t have. No overdraft fees. No overspending. No surprises.
- Manage chores
- Automate allowances
- Instantly transfer money to kids’ cards
- Receive real-time notifications
- Set store-level spend controls
- Turn card on or off from the app
- Set Parent-Paid Interest rates on savings
- Control access and budgets for ATM withdrawals
- Refer a friend to Greenlight and you both receive $10
KIDS AND TEENS CAN
- Manage their own budgets
- Direct deposit their paychecks
- Access the Greenlight app to track balances in Spend, Save and Give accounts
- Create custom saving goals
- Receive money from friends & family with Greenlight Gift
- Use Apple Pay
SAFETY FIRST. AND SECOND. AND THIRD.
- Greenlight comes with an EMV Chip and parent-controlled PIN
- No cash back at the register to curb unmonitored spending
- Automated blocked categories for unsafe spending
- State-of-the-art SSL encryption
- Your most sensitive information is stored by our partners, who are compliant with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
- FDIC insured through our partner, Community Federal Savings Bank.
We made adjustments to the app to give you an even better Greenlight experience.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great Customer Service
I just signed up for Greenlight however I confused it with another service that had feature I really thought would benefit my child. I am always nervous when canceling required a phone call, because it usually includes some really pushy attempts to make you stay. My husband was on the phone with one company over two hours trying to cancel. It’s scarred us for life! (Haha)
So I braced myself and called Greenlight to cancel. After one man took my general information and then told me he was transferred me to the cancellation department, I automatically thought, oh great here we go. My defenses went up and I was ready to battle. Turns out Greenlight plans to add the feature I wanted in a couple months and was willing to give me discount in order to stay and have the opportunity to compare the two services. Being in defense mode, I wasn’t open to staying.... and I will say the guy on the phone was not remotely pushy and was super nice. The second I hung up I asked myself why I didn’t stay.
I have had so many horrible customer service experiences, especially when trying to cancel a service it actually caught me off guard to have nice genuine customer service.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback! Our team is always happy to help with whatever need you may have. And you can always re-join the Greenlight family whenever you'd like, we would love to have you.
Great idea but I do not like paying $60 a year to use this. Took 1 star away for cost and 1 away because I can’t access the money in the parent wallet or transfer it back to my account.
This has been great so far for my 3 boys who make money doing their chores. It’s much better than cash and they are learning how to save for specific things and not just spend money so freely. They feel very proud and excited when using their debit cards! Their ages are 12, 11, and 7! We have an account for my 4 year old daughter just to have a place to save birthday money she has and such. It’s easy on us too. They are more willing to do their chores knowing they will be paid for sure a specific amount each Friday! We had no system before this and kept losing track of how much we owed them or how much they spent on something. The only downfall is the $5 charge monthly. $60 a year and I still have to pay the interest on my children’s savings myself. If I only had 1 child I would not pay $5 a month. I also don’t like that I can’t transfer the parent wallet money back to my bank account. There should be a card like Venmo or PayPal for the parent wallet. If Venmo and PayPal can be free, this should be free as well. As soon as I find a different free version of this elsewhere I will go with that! When I first signed up I wasn’t aware that it was only free for 30 days. I found that out when the cards arrived. I’ve never seen the monthly fee advertised so I felt mislead.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for sharing your insightful feedback with us. We will make sure to pass it along to the team. A Greenlight representative would love to further assist with transferring funds from your Parent Wallet to your funding source. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and reference your review.
Almost there but could use a couple of added features
I absolutely LOVE the idea of this app and the card to go with it. We’re super excited to start using it. BUT here are the things that could give it a 5 star rating....
1. Add the ability for 2 parent wallets for the kids cards. With the world today and the divorce rate, there are so many split households so having the ability for each family to have access to the kids cards would be amazing! I even think you could double your profit by charging $5 per parent wallet.
2. Having the ability to require a chore to be completed for the kids to get paid their allowance. I chose to go with this app because of the debit card feature but a friend of mine has a different app where he can assign chores which are “required for allowance”. If those chores are not completed, they don’t get their allowance. He can then also assign chores which are assigned extra money and can be redeemed as well (which I know is also a feature of Greenlight).
3. Last, I think there should be a parent approval process so the kids can be held accountable for what they are saying they completed before the allowance goes out.
Those are the things that would really help our family and I’m sure other families out there. Hopefully these things can be implemented soon so we can use the app to the fullest. Thank you for your consideration!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for joining the Greenlight family! We appreciate your valuable feedback and will pass this along to the team.
- Greenlight Financial Technology, Inc.
- 116 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Greenlight Financial Technology, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.