Watch, pause, and record Live TV with your HDHomeRun and HDHomeRun iOS app.
This app requires iOS 11 or newer.
* This app requires an HDHomeRun tuner present on your local area network
* Update to the latest release
The HDHomeRun app requires an HDHomeRun tuner to watch Live TV on your iPad, iPhone, or iPad Touch.
• Compatible HDHomeRun device:
HDHomeRun CONNECT, EXTEND, EXPAND, or PRIME
Legacy model HDHomeRuns like the DUAL will support Live TV streaming; however, DVR is not supported.
• Reliable high speed Wi-Fi network
• iOS 11 or newer
• Live TV (cable TV and over-the-air) viewing on your iPhone or iPad
• Pause/FF/RW support to live TV. DVR not required to use this feature.
• Supports HD channels
• Cable TV and OTA.
• No external player needed
• Fast Channel changes
• Intuitive UI and OSD to control closed caption, audio tracks, and zoom with a single tap
• What’s on now and what’s on next guide data
• Program images, show cards, and channel logos
• Program progress bar
• Consolidated list of channels (for user with both Cable and ATSC tuners).
• Does NOT require an always on computer
• Full 14 day guide data for DVR users / Non-DVR users get 24 hour guide data
* Guide data and images are officially licensed by Gracenote
* The HDHomeRun app does not work outside of your home network. Your iPhone or iPad must be connected to the same local network as your HDHomeRun tuner.
For questions, concerns, bug reports, and feature requests, contact us on via email email@example.com or on the HDHomeRun forums: www.silicondust.com/forum
* Fix problems playing some 4k channels.
* Improvements to device discovery.
Ratings and Reviews
A Good Start
The most glaring shortcoming is the interface. I find it to be confusing and unintuitive especially compared to Channels or Plex (which aren't free). The app is pretty zippy with the delay between switching channels taking maybe 2 seconds. Interface shortcomings aside, I also like that I can browse channels while watching a program, which is something lacking in other apps.
It would be nice if users could disable channels that don't work, or create a favorites list. It would also be nice to see a grid schedule similar to what's found on pretty much every TV interface device since TV Guide.
I guess the most compelling reason to download HDHomeRun over something like Channels, is that it's free. It's not a bad app at all, and if I had not already bought Channels, I'd be content with this.
Downrating, falls WAY short, no fixes, not listening to feedback about PIP
1) fix the no device found bug ... my iPad is on the same wifi network as the device, it is the only thing my iPad does, stay at home on wifi, do not force me through 12-24 retries, force close the app, bla bla ... frustrating as all get out ... works on ethernet, not wifi??
2) multitasking, picture in picture, slide in ... OK, we are 2019. Other TV apps have done this for YEARS, iOS can do it, please figure it out. Let me have a thumbnail of live tv from HD HomeRun on the news, weather, some tv show ... while I do whatever other browsing in Safari, use Discord, ...
Same for the kitchen ipad, watch the news while cooking, switch to recipe, yep, no more news ... and then good luck trying to reconnect
3) Stop with the Black Screen for 5 secs whenever I (try to) switch channels, or do ANYTHING ... open app, switch channels ... constantly makes me think the app crashed, wifi network died, the antenna is not aimed right ... just hold it where you are, provide some kind of message ... switching tuner to new channel, while leaving the channel guide up ... leave something on screen! instead of this same black screen that is going go tell me “ no device found “ or “ no ... “
Developer Response ,
We have not enabled the PIP view at present. With that said, there's definitely no reason your app should crash or stall. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. They should be able to figure out what might be the cause.
Promising, yet disappointing
I love the idea of severing my relationship with my TV provider and gave this application an honest attempt. I’m surprised that Silicondust hasn’t developed an application version for AppleTV... It’s worked fine on my iPhone, iPad, and MAC, however, I found myself often just getting frustrated with being forced to use a third party application, channels, to use my HDHomeRun device and watch OTA TV... It seems that the regardless of which, as I tried several, third party app I tried, I have nothing but problems with freezing...
Now with the addition of optional channels from the cable world I’m still paying my provider as I can’t depend on this product in conjunction with a third party app to watch local channels...
You’re loosing revenue ignoring the Apple TV community... as I’d happily switch over...
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. We're very definitely eyeing Apple TV for the future.
- SiliconDust USA Inc
- 14.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Silicondust Inc. Guide data and images officially licensed by Gracenote. HDHomeRun and the green logo are registered trademarks of Silicondust Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.