Hex Map Maker 4+
Make old-school RPG hex maps
Designed for iPad
Easily make and print old-school style role-playing game hex maps!
Hex Map Maker is designed to make maps similar to those from the old Dungeons & Dragons® Expert set for use in pen and paper role-playing games. Use the symbol picker to choose a symbol and then tap on the hexes to see your map take shape. Make a mistake? Just pick a different symbol and tap the hexes to change.
Change hex types or map size without losing your current map! (Though it will look a little different as the rows and columns move around.)
* Choose from either pointy-top or flat-top hexes.
* Make maps of any size by choosing the number of rows and columns from the menu.
* Seven symbols to choose from: Mountains, Hills, Forest, Desert, Grassland, Water, and Blank.
* Pinch and zoom or pan with two fingers to see the whole map or zoom in to focus on details.
* Print whatever is on the screen -- so you can print the whole map or just a small portion.
* Save your maps to local storage so you can carry your entire campaign in your pocket.
* Print the map and then draw cities, roads, dungeons, rivers or anything else you need on it -- your imagination is the limit.
Design help by Erika Cary (https://erikacary.com/).
Dungeons & Dragons® is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. This app is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. For more information about Wizards of the Coast and current versions of their games, please visit their website at http://www.wizards.com/ .
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Fixed the tool palette display in multitasking mode.
Ratings and Reviews
Very barebones. No way to change colors for solid swaths of land, no markers for cities or terrain (swamps, desert, jungle, etc.) and the map tends to jump around while I’m painting ocean tiles. But a great way to make a barebones environment to convey where your adventures are and where they can go.
I would like to see more options for color (pallette selection for the Blue tile, maybe?) perhaps that can be more beneficial to creating more delineated areas of influence or landmass.
I’m currently designing a hex based war sim and I’ve been having trouble generating a perfect (and easy to use) hex tessalate. I used HexTML on browser and tried a couple of different apps and they functioned, but with great difficultly and low quality. I finished this map (a recreation of the previously created ones) in about 10 minutes (and it has over 3000 tiles). Fairy wonderful app, I would suggest adding support to export entire map to camera roll as an HD image, bc i ended up having to edit the map together in R4VE, a photo app. Other than that minor inconvenience this app is absolutely phenomenal in its simplicity and consistent quality.
Simple But Free
This app is a little short on features, but hey, it’s free, and that’s more than can be said for most of the other map-making apps. Even so, I find that most of what it lacks, such as being able to place settlements and add text, can be made up for with the markup features in the Photos app. I would love to see it be developed more, especially if more types of terrain are added, but I find that it does a good job as-is.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Michael Friedman
- 19.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Michael Friedman