HomeCam is the only app to allow you to view multiple cameras live at once and control their surroundings.
Take action based on data layers such as temperature, humidity and air quality, controlling other HomeKit accessories to make your life healthier while viewing it live.
Featured on MacStories, 9to5Mac and iDownloadBlog.
“Homecam is essential for HomeKit cameras like the and — not just for viewing playback on multiple streams at the same time...” - 9to5Mac.
• Data Layers
Bring a camera into full screen mode and you can view layers of data from surrounding HomeKit accessories such as temperature, humidity and air quality. And with HomeCam 2, you can now choose which accessories to use for this data.
• Room Control
With the improved HomeKit controls, HomeCam 2 enables you to control surrounding accessories in the same room as your camera. Change the room's lighting, adjust your thermostat and more.
• Live View
With HomeCam, you can view all your HomeKit cameras live on one screen, not snapshots that lag behind the reality of what your cameras are seeing.
• Single Camera View
Bring a camera into full screen mode and you can use the speaker and microphone of the camera to communicate to others. Zoom in to see your camera's viewport closer up.
• Secure HomeCam with a Passcode
Keep those peering eyes off your cameras with support for securing HomeCam.
• Apple Platform Support
Buy once, get HomeCam on all your devices. iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV and Mac all for one price.
This update improves an edge case related to audio continuing to play while the app is closed or minimised.
Ratings and Reviews
Fills in the gaps that Apple’s Home app lacks
Just as the title says, HomeCam completes the HomeKit camera experience with the quality and completeness that the Apple experience usually provides.
I would rate this five stars except that I believe there’s been a bug in the Apple TV app for some time — audio simply doesn’t work, even when you select an individual camera. It seems to have broken with an update several months ago, but I haven’t been able to pinpoint exactly when. I do recall that it did work at one time on ATV, and the other platform versions of this app continue to work fine.
I could not find an email address or contact form to directly reach out to the developer to inquire about this audio issue. Outside of that, this is a five-star app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review. The iOS app has a support link in the settings that will reach out to me.
Apple TV does not support audio streaming, this is a limitation by Apple. Only iOS and watchOS can stream audio. I have a ticket open with Apple regarding htis limitation but there has been no movement on this recently.
All this does is allow you to view your cameras in one spot, rather than having to scroll through them on the Home app on Apple TV (via HomeKit). However, it’s named “HomeCam for HomeKit.” That sounds great when you’ve just ordered four deterrence cameras through Apple Store. However, what you need to know, but the app developer doesn’t tell you, is that HomeKit does not allow two-way audio. This is why you BRIEFLY see the microphone button before it disappears on ANY IOS device you’re using. HomeKit also doesn’t allow you to turn on the camera’s floodlight. All you can do is view and listen to all of your cameras in one spot (well, five cameras because that’s Apple’s limit), rather than scrolling through them on Apple TV or opening them individually in the Home app. This limitation by Apple isn’t the app developer’s fault, except that the app developer calls it, “HomeCam for HomeKit” and doesn’t tell you when you purchase the $4.99 app that the money you poured into the deterrence cameras you purchased will turn them into surveillance cameras only. If you want to use the deterrence features on your cameras, do not buy this app or use HomeKit - just use the app that the camera manufacturer provides.
Developer Response ,
HomeCam does in fact support two way audio if your cameras support it in HomeKit. I would think your cameras may not support said feature.
HomeCam supports dozens of cameras. The limit you mention is that of HomeKit secure video not any apps.
Camera spotlights are also supported if the cameras offer them within HomeKit as controllable lights, cameras such as Arlo do not do this.
None of the issues you’ve noted are limitations of HomeKit or HomeCam but of specific camera manufacturers not implementing the features as they should.
Feel free to reach out to me via the in app support and I’ll be happy to discuss it further.
Needs some major work
The latest update (v2.2.3) has made this app very hard to use. I use a couple of HomeKit enabled cameras (eufy Security Solo IndoorCam C24) as baby monitors for my kids. Here are new and pre-existing issues:
- New: If I swipe to bring up Control Center (e.g., to change the screen brightness), the app immediately disconnects all of my cameras. I have to continually start the app back up and kill it for 2+ minutes for it to bring up the feed again.
- Pre-existing: I have the cameras cycle with the 10 second increment. It’s not at all reliable as most times I find the screen blank with no sound. It does, however work some of the time, so I know it’s not a camera restriction. In any case, I would not recommend this app as a baby monitor for infants because the feed cannot be trusted.
- Pre-existing: single camera feed eventually loses sound.
- Pre-existing: if I have the cameras cycling and then click out to it to show a single camera, the sound continues to cycle.
I am happy to work with the developer to help reproduce these issues and believe that they are core enhancements needed to make this app work and worth the money I paid for it.
Unfortunately some of these issues have existed for quite some time now. I am forced to continue using this app as there is no competition. However, I am looking forward to the day some of these unique features are addressed by the developer or even rolled out as native features in iOS.
Developer Response ,
This app is not intended to be a baby monitor replacement given it has no ability to function in the background due to HomeKit restrictions.
In terms of the issues raised:
1) Swiping to show control centre, all HomeKit apps have to disconnect from the feeds when backgrounded to free streams up for other apps. It is up to each camera manufacturer to handle this case correctly.
2) The 10 second auto cycle feature functions for the majority of cameras, if a camera is showing blank, it is due to the camera not returning a feed to HomeKit as it should either due to it being disconnected, its feeds dying after being open for a long period or other network issues.
3) I haven't had a report of the sound disconnecting, please send this into me via the support channel in app.
4) I have a ticket for the sound continuing after auto cycle and am investigating this issue already.
You haven't reached out to me via the in-app support for any of these issues beyond the control centre bug, I am unsure how I am able to fix issues that have not been reported to me at all?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pearce Media Limited
- 2.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Pearce Media Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.