HomeControl is a powerful HomeKit menu bar app: check the status of your home at a glance, trigger a scene, switch the status of a device or even change you primary home directly from your Mac menu bar!
HomeControl supports controlling and automating the following HomeKit areas:
• Scenes: HomeControl supports triggering and showing the state of each scene and also auto-detects the scene type and choses an appropriate icon for it.
• Devices: HomeControl can control all devices that can be powered on/off (like outlets, lightbulbs, switches, thermostats…). You can quickly see their state from the HomeControl menu and change it.
• Device Groups: HomeControl also supports controlling and detecting the state of any device group created with the Home app which contains supported devices.
• Homes: If you have added multiple homes to HomeKit, HomeControl can show a home picker to quickly change your primary home. HomeControl always shows scenes and devices from your current primary home.
All the items can be configured to be hidden on the menu or invoked by a global keyboard shortcut.
HomeControl also includes full automation support for all the actions available in the app (triggering scenes, switching a device or device group status and changing the primary home) with “x-callback-url”-compatible automation URLs which can be easily invoked from AppleScript, Terminal, custom scripts and other apps.
• HomeControl can detect and control the status of all HomeKit devices that can be activated and deactivated: outlets, lightbulbs, switches, thermostats, fans, air purifiers, heaters, dehumidifiers, windows, window coverings, faucets, valves, irrigation systems, doors, garage door openers and locks!
• Changing you primary home in HomeControl will propagate the change to all your devices and Siri on the Mac will also automatically use your selected primary home by default.
• You can quickly copy the automation URL of any item right-clicking it on the “Customize Items” section of the HomeControl preferences pane. There are also examples for using them from AppleScript and Terminal on the “Automation” section of the preferences pane.
• All automation URLs include an Authentication Token to verify that requests are sent from a trusted source. The Authentication Token can be regenerated at any time in the “Automation” section of the preferences pane and doing it will invalidate all previous automation URLs.
• HomeKit does not currently support scene deactivation functionality, so HomeControl will always trigger the scene regardless of its status. Note that there is not always a clear way to deactivate a scene (for example, scenes that change some properties like setting a particular temperature or changing a light bulb color). The recommended alternatives to scene deactivation are using an inverted scene or creating a device group to control multiple devices together.
• HomeControl cannot detect the status of scenes that do not include HomeKit actions, like scenes that only control AirPlay devices (like Apple TV or HomePods) or devices that have already been removed. If all scene devices have been removed you can permanently delete it from the Home app by creating a new scene with the same name and deleting it.
Privacy by Design: HomeControl works completely on-device and does not store or send any information outside of the protected app sandbox.
• Enhanced menu performance.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great Functionality, but Experiencing Crashes Regularly
Update: The issue seems to be resolved, thanks!
-- Original Review Below --
This app works as advertised and is a wonderful way to quickly toggle between scenes! I love having this functionality in my menu bar, especially since I enjoy using multiple scenes when working at night.
Unfortunately, I'm experiencing an issue that causes the app to crash each time I wake my MacBook Pro (running macOS Big Sur 11.1) from sleep. I get an alert with the Finder icon letting me know that HomeControl has crashed, along with an alert from HomeControl itself. The app promptly relaunches and works without any issues, but the constant crashing behavior has caused me to not use the application.
I would advise you to be weary of this behavior before purchasing this app. The app's features are wonderful (and I'd gladly rate this 5 stars), but a crash and multiple alerts each time I wake my Mac is unacceptable behavior.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the feedback! HomeControl 1.4 is now available and should resolve the issue. If you have any problem please contact me at https://pvieito.com/app-support.
Great App, Great Developer!
This app is fantastic! This app fills a big gap that Apple is leaving completely unaddressed, controling the devices in the Home app quickly and easily. The only other app like this on the store at the moment is anoyingly crippled unless you pay way to much for it. This developer is much better at providing great utility at a fair price. Happy to support them!
The developer has great response time when there is a rare bug and continues developing very useful functionality, anticipating end user requests! Thank you!!!
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the feedback! HomeControl 1.5 is now available and it includes automation support for running HomeControl actions using “x-callback-url”-compatible automation URLs, which you can invoke from AppleScript, Terminal and other applications. Check the “Automation” section of the HomeControl preferences pane for more information about how to use it.
One-of-a-kind, but needs a couple things
I love this app, because it seems to be the only one leveraging new HomeKit on macOS support to this extent. The only competitor is limited to scene control, which is not useful to me. However, this app could use two small additions. For one, fan control is only binary right now, but my ceiling fan, for example, has three speeds, which could be represented by making multi-level fans a dropdown item rather than a checkbox item. Second, it does not support thermostats, which is the one thing I find myself wanting to control most often while I'm at my desk. Otherwise, I really appreciate this app!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pedro Jose Pereira Vieito
- 4.1 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- Pedro José Pereira Vieito © 2021
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.