HomeControl is a powerful HomeKit menu bar app: check the state of your home at a glance, trigger a scene, switch the status of a device or even change you primary home directly from your Mac menu bar!
HomeControl supports controlling and automating the following HomeKit areas:
• Scenes: HomeControl supports triggering and showing the state of each scene and also auto-detects the scene type and choses an appropriate icon for it.
• Devices and Device Groups: HomeControl can control all devices that can be activated and deactivated (like outlets, lightbulbs, switches, thermostats…). You can quickly see their state from the HomeControl menu and change it. HomeControl also supports changing device properties like light brightness and color, thermostat mode and temperature or blinds position.
• Homes: If you have added multiple homes to HomeKit, HomeControl can show a home picker to quickly change your primary home. HomeControl always shows scenes and devices from your current primary home.
HomeControl also includes the concept of Smart Groups to quickly control all the devices of a room from the menu (for example, activate all lightbulbs of a room or deactivate all its devices) and supports showing measurements or detections from sensors available in your HomeKit setup.
All the items can be configured to be hidden on the menu, shown in a submenu or invoked by a global keyboard shortcut.
HomeControl also includes full automation support for all the actions available in the app (triggering scenes, switching a device or device group status, changing the primary home and also changing device properties!) with “x-callback-url”-compatible automation URLs which can be easily invoked from AppleScript, Terminal, custom scripts and other apps.
• HomeControl can detect and control the status of all HomeKit devices that can be activated and deactivated: outlets, lightbulbs, switches, thermostats, fans, air purifiers, heaters, dehumidifiers, windows, window coverings, faucets, valves, irrigation systems, doors, garage door openers and locks!
• HomeControl supports reading and showing measurements or detections from the following types of sensors: temperature, humidity, air quality, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, contact, smoke, leak, motion, light and occupancy sensors.
• HomeControl supports changing and reading the following device properties: light brightness, light hue, light saturation, light color temperature, thermostat mode (auto, cool, heat or off), thermostat target temperature and door, window, blinds or shades position.
• You can quickly copy the automation URL of any item right-clicking it on the “Customize Items” section of the HomeControl preferences pane. There are also examples for using them from AppleScript and Terminal on the “Automation” section of the preferences pane.
• All automation URLs include an Authentication Token to verify that requests are sent from a trusted source. The Authentication Token can be regenerated at any time in the “Automation” section of the preferences pane and doing it will invalidate all previous automation URLs.
• HomeKit does not currently support scene deactivation functionality, so HomeControl will always trigger the scene regardless of its status. Note that there is not always a clear way to deactivate a scene (for example, scenes that change some properties like setting a particular temperature or changing a light bulb color).
• HomeControl cannot currently control AirPlay devices (like TVs, Apple TVs or HomePods) as they are not exposed through HomeKit to third party apps.
• HomeControl cannot detect the status of scenes that do not include HomeKit actions, like scenes that only control AirPlay devices (like Apple TV or HomePods) or devices that have already been removed.
Privacy by Design: HomeControl works completely on-device and does not store or send any information outside of the protected app sandbox.
• Added support for changing the position of doors, windows, shades or blinds with the new property type “Position” that admits integer values from 0 (closed) to 100 (open).
Ratings and Reviews
Great Functionality, but Experiencing Crashes Regularly
Update: The issue seems to be resolved, thanks!
-- Original Review Below --
This app works as advertised and is a wonderful way to quickly toggle between scenes! I love having this functionality in my menu bar, especially since I enjoy using multiple scenes when working at night.
Unfortunately, I'm experiencing an issue that causes the app to crash each time I wake my MacBook Pro (running macOS Big Sur 11.1) from sleep. I get an alert with the Finder icon letting me know that HomeControl has crashed, along with an alert from HomeControl itself. The app promptly relaunches and works without any issues, but the constant crashing behavior has caused me to not use the application.
I would advise you to be weary of this behavior before purchasing this app. The app's features are wonderful (and I'd gladly rate this 5 stars), but a crash and multiple alerts each time I wake my Mac is unacceptable behavior.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the feedback! HomeControl 1.4 is now available and should resolve the issue. If you have any problem please contact me at https://pvieito.com/app-support.
Awesome App! Great Developer! Continues to Add Features!
This app is fantastic! It fills a big gap that Apple is leaving completely unaddressed, controlling the devices in the Home app quickly and easily. The only other app like this on the store at the moment is anoyingly crippled unless you pay way too much for it. This developer is much better at providing great utility at a fair price. Happy to support them!
The developer has great response time when there is a rare bug and continues adding very usefull functionality, anticipating end user requests! Thank you!
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the feedback! HomeControl 1.5 is now available and it includes automation support for running HomeControl actions using “x-callback-url”-compatible automation URLs, which you can invoke from AppleScript, Terminal and other applications. Check the “Automation” section of the HomeControl preferences pane for more information about how to use it.
One-of-a-kind, but needs a couple things
I love this app, because it seems to be the only one leveraging new HomeKit on macOS support to this extent. The only competitor is limited to scene control, which is not useful to me. However, this app could use two small additions. For one, fan control is only binary right now, but my ceiling fan, for example, has three speeds, which could be represented by making multi-level fans a dropdown item rather than a checkbox item. Second, it does not support thermostats, which is the one thing I find myself wanting to control most often while I'm at my desk. Otherwise, I really appreciate this app!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pedro Jose Pereira Vieito
- 4.4 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- Pedro José Pereira Vieito © 2021
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.