ChatterBoards AAC 4+
Augmentative Communication Aid
Designed for iPad
The vision was always to help people in need. Please help spread the word and leave a good rating to help spread the app to more people if you like it.
The cheapest AAC app compared to others offering the same features.
Chatterboards was professionally developed, in collaboration with Speech Therapists and end users, with the aim of providing people in need with an AAC app that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars or require monthly subscriptions.
ChatterBoards is an easy to use Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) aid for people of any age who have speech or language difficulties. This can include people with autism, aphasia, apraxia, stroke, downs syndrome, or any other disability that causes the individual to have difficulties in communicating or expressing their needs.
Continually updated with new features and enhancements. All suggestions and/or requests are considered.
Full feature list:
- Create and use vocabulary boards, including multiple paged vocabularies, for forming sentences.
- Board levels. Levels provide a way to progressively build up a user's vocabulary. A limited set of words can be displayed at each level, progressively building up the number of words shown until the full board is used. Words/Tiles do not move position between boards, allowing users to remember and learn a number of words at a time without them moving.
- Create and use basic phrase boards which associate a basic full phrase/sentence to an individual button, providing quick responses or questions for basic communication needs.
- Ability to create and switch between different profiles, each with their own set of boards and settings. Ideal for households with multiple users, or specialists with multiple clients.
- All board dimensions supported up to and included 16x16 (rows x columns) per page.
- Fully customisable buttons. Change their text, colour (border and background), image and audio playback
- Change a buttons image from either your devices photo library, camera, or from over 4000 sample symbols.
- Includes over 3500 symbols provided by Mulberry Symbols (https://mulberrysymbols.org/)
- Includes over 500 symbols designed by Freepik and distributed by Flaticon.
- Save images from the internet, or from your own symbol libraries, into your photo library for use.
- Supports text-only and image-only buttons.
- Fully customisable button audio. Use the Text to Speech synthesiser or record your own voice(s) using your devices microphone.
- Keyboard input mode. Alternatively to using symbols, manually enter desired vocabulary with keyboard input.
- Text to Speech supports all iOS packaged languages (over 50 languages/dialects). Includes multiple male and female voices for English.
- Change rate, pitch and/or volume of Text to Speech synthesiser.
- Set App wide voice/language, rate, pitch and volume default values for the Text to Speech synthesiser.
- Fully customisable boards. Change dimensions anytime, add, delete and move buttons as desired.
- Copy existing boards to create new permutations
- Copy/paste individual tiles
- Share boards with other users of ChatterBoards. Use Apple AirDrop, Mail, Message, or any other valid installed application on your device.
- The ability to lock controls, e.g. editing. Like a parental control.
- Supports both iPhone and iPad
Also a number of Arasaac Symbols are included as samples (approx. 20).
These pictograms used are property of Aragon Goberment and have been created by Sergio Palao to ARASAAC (http://arasaac.org) which distribute them under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-SA)
Updates to ensure support for latest iOS versions.
Ratings and Reviews
No sound on iPhone 11
I set up boards and sent the boards to a user on an iPhone 11. I set the boards up on my iPad and can hear the items on my iPhone 9 l. They were able to add the boards to their phone but there is no sound when they select the tiles and/ or use the sentence bar. We have tried to adjust the ringer sound but nothing has worked. Do you have any suggestions how to resolve the issue?
Developer Response ,
Do you have the same issue with recorded audio? Please try to test this by editing a tile and recording some custom audio and then trying to tap that tile.
For further help please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Great! Just One Thing.
This app is hands down great! I use it personally as I am a part time AAC user. I have a visual impairment and I use the VoiceOver setting in IOS accessibility settings. It works great with it. I love the customization as well. I make my own symbols that I can see and I love that I can use them and make my own boards. I have one suggestion. When selecting words or phrases to add to the sentence bar, you can’t go from board to board and add different words. Once you exit a board, the words you selected aren’t there. I think it would be nice maybe to have that option in the main settings where you can select different words from different boards and keep them on the sentence bar until you delete them off the bar. I can say though that this app is great over all, and is VoiceOver friendly.
ECSE Must Have!!!
I am an ECSE teacher and I love this app! As a teacher, The fact that it is free and that I can create multiple profiles for my students is absolutely a lifesaver. I can make boards as simple or as complex as I need, depending on my student abilities. For my little ones who are only three and four, having a board with only 2-4 options is amazing. I can't wait to use it in my classroom. I know they are going to love it. I love how I can customize it with my own pictures and voice as well as use the pictures and voice provided. This is absolutely amazing! Thank you ChatterBoards!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Paul Popiel
- 122.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Paul Popiel