The cheapest AAC app compared to others offering the same features.
Chatterboards was professionally developed, in collaboration with Speech Therapists and end users, with the aim of providing people in need with an AAC app that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars or require monthly subscriptions.
ChatterBoards is an easy to use Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) aid for people of any age who have speech or language difficulties. This can include people with autism, aphasia, apraxia, stroke, downs syndrome, or any other disability that causes the individual to have difficulties in communicating or expressing their needs.
Continually updated with new features and enhancements. All suggestions and/or requests are considered.
Full feature list:
- Create and use vocabulary boards, including multiple paged vocabularies, for forming sentences.
- Board levels. Levels provide a way to progressively build up a user's vocabulary. A limited set of words can be displayed at each level, progressively building up the number of words shown until the full board is used. Words/Tiles do not move position between boards, allowing users to remember and learn a number of words at a time without them moving.
- Create and use basic phrase boards which associate a basic full phrase/sentence to an individual button, providing quick responses or questions for basic communication needs.
- Ability to create and switch between different profiles, each with their own set of boards and settings. Ideal for households with multiple users, or specialists with multiple clients.
- All board dimensions supported up to and included 16x16 (rows x columns) per page.
- Fully customisable buttons. Change their text, colour (border and background), image and audio playback
- Change a buttons image from either your devices photo library, camera, or from over 4000 sample symbols.
- Includes over 3500 symbols provided by Mulberry Symbols (https://mulberrysymbols.org/)
- Includes over 500 symbols designed by Freepik and distributed by Flaticon.
- Save images from the internet, or from your own symbol libraries, into your photo library for use.
- Supports text-only and image-only buttons.
- Fully customisable button audio. Use the Text to Speech synthesiser or record your own voice(s) using your devices microphone.
- Keyboard input mode. Alternatively to using symbols, manually enter desired vocabulary with keyboard input.
- Text to Speech supports all iOS packaged languages (over 50 languages/dialects). Includes multiple male and female voices for English.
- Change rate, pitch and/or volume of Text to Speech synthesiser.
- Set App wide voice/language, rate, pitch and volume default values for the Text to Speech synthesiser.
- Fully customisable boards. Change dimensions anytime, add, delete and move buttons as desired.
- Copy existing boards to create new permutations
- Copy/paste individual tiles
- Share boards with other users of ChatterBoards. Use Apple AirDrop, Mail, Message, or any other valid installed application on your device.
- The ability to lock controls, e.g. editing. Like a parental control.
- Supports both iPhone and iPad
Also a number of Arasaac Symbols are included as samples (approx. 20).
These pictograms used are property of Aragon Goberment and have been created by Sergio Palao to ARASAAC (http://arasaac.org) which distribute them under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-SA)
New feature: Keyboard Input Mode!
Alternatively to using symbols to form sentences, manually enter words using a keyboard. Switch easily between symbol based input and keyboard input.
This update also includes improvements to the sentence bar. Text is now more clearly displayed.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
FINALLY an app therapists and teachers can afford
This app has everything I could ask for and more plus airdrop makes it so easy to share boards with other therapists and being able to customize recordings and even their voice pitches and speed is awesome. Finally my students have voices!
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for your feedback! We are extremely happy to hear the App is serving your needs!
Please feel free to submit any feature requests or improvement ideas to the following email:
We are always looking to further improve the App experience for our users!
I have been successfully using chatter board for my adapted physical education classes for a year but I am trying to update old boards or create new boards and I cannot open my photo library. It allows me to get to the camera or sample images but not my library. It is also not saving properly. I can save a board and move choose different boards and go back to the new boards but if I go out of the app the new boards are not there when I return.
Is there a fix for this issue?
Developer Response ,
We hope the latest release of the app has resolved your issues. Thank you for your feedback!
No sound on iPhone 11
I set up boards and sent the boards to a user on an iPhone 11. I set the boards up on my iPad and can hear the items on my iPhone 9 l. They were able to add the boards to their phone but there is no sound when they select the tiles and/ or use the sentence bar. We have tried to adjust the ringer sound but nothing has worked. Do you have any suggestions how to resolve the issue?
Developer Response ,
Do you have the same issue with recorded audio? Please try to test this by editing a tile and recording some custom audio and then trying to tap that tile.
For further help please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.