Comet is the ultimate way to browse reddit. Fast, yet beautiful. Functionally robust, but remarkably intuitive. With a forward looking MacOS-compliant design and navigation, zero corporate meddling, and advanced alien technology, it's the most sophisticated reddit app to date.
With hundreds of individually crafted features, no corner of Comet has been left unloved. Here are a few of the highlights:
DISCOVER NEW CONTENT:
- Beautiful post layouts bring content to life
- Autoplay gifs inline
- Infinitely scroll through subreddits
- Collapse and expand comments with a tap or a slide
- Scroll infinitely without hiccup
- Full markdown support
- Search reddit posts and subreddits
- Intuitively filter search
- View pictures, loop gifs, and watch videos all without leaving
- Save and share quickly
READ AND REPLY:
- Keep your inbox in check with quick actions
- Read and reply to comments and private messages
- Compose messages, comments, and posts with a remarkably robust markdown editor
- Upload images to imgur.com for use in posts and comments
SUBSCRIBE AND SITBACK:
- Manage all of your subreddit subscriptions with a single click
- Maintain a list of favorite subreddits across devices
- Unified list of subreddits, multireddits, and users
THEME TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT:
- Pick from five beautifully detailed themes (White, Dark, Black, Blue, and Sepia)
- Switch between four post layouts (Super Compact, Titles, Thumbnails, Previews)
- Customize over 60+ settings
MORE ACCOUNTS LESS PROBLEMS:
- Add an unlimited amount of accounts
- View your upvoted, downvoted, gilded, and saved posts
- Manage hidden posts
- Tag users across reddit
- Subscribe to users
New features are added all the time so make sure to stay updated by subscribing to r/Comet.
- Add File menu option to open a “Single Column” window
- Added option to always open Comet in single column format
- Added option to open MediaViewer in same window
- Added font size sliders for posts and comments
- Fixed issue where MediaViewer would open in new tab
Ratings and Reviews
Good app, some suggestions
Honestly this app has so much potential. Not to mention it’s already quite good. Won’t use it as much though since it’s lacking some features.
1) The commenting interface is okay. Doesn’t compete with Apollo. You can select(highlight and select) portions of comments and quote them in Apollo. You can also highlight your own text and automatically bold or italicize it. Very useful if you don’t remember the syntax required for these actions.
2) I would love if when you go to the profile icon, the overview generated right under the “history” option. Maybe a page break and then the overview under. Way to much navigation to get to the overview right now.
3) Also a bug - after searching something and deleting the text and refreshing the search page. The very same search results still hang around. Up until the next search
4) Would love for the upvote/downvote and comment buttons to be moved under. It’s sort of an Inconvenience to keep them up top. They also act as a page break.
Fantastic Reddit App for Mac
I am a big Apollo user on iOS and this is the closest thing you will find to that experience on Mac. There are a couple of things that I wish were possible so maybe the dev will see these and implement.
1. Ability to change not just the font but the size of the font.
2. Implement some type of gesture or option to hide the previously viewed posted after exiting and re-entering the Comet app.
3. When using the Dark - Blue theme, it can be difficult to identify what sub the post is from. My suggestion would be to make this some type of accent color that stands out a little more.
4. I can't put my finger on it but I feel like the refresh button does not always work or maybe it take a significantly longer time than I would expect. Maybe this is just user error on my part XD
5. Ability to move the "move to next main comment" button that is in the lower right. On mobile I know why it is the bottom right but when viewing on the laptop that button is quite a ways a way from the main scrolling performed on the left.
These are all very particular comments and I would still use the app regardless if they were implemented. I would highly reccomend if you are looking for a clean Reddit app for Mac. Hey dev, add a link somewhere so people can tip you for making such a great free app available!
Great app but a very annoying problem
The ui and smoothness of this app is great but there's one thing that makes this app really annoying for me. There's no option to disable the swipe to upvote function, which is especially annoying when viewing comments because I can't swipe back to the previous screen without readjusting my grip to reach the very edge of the screen. Also there is no feature to rearrange subreddits for quicker access which I use everyday in Apollo. If these two things are fixed this would be my favorite app.
Edit: they implemented full screen swipe back so that fixes that problem! Still can't rearrange subreddits.
Developer Response ,
The latest update added customizable swipe actions and a full screen swipe back! Hopefully that helps with your use case.
I’m looking into expanding on how Comet handles favorites. I’ve gotten quite a few suggestions wanting sortable and more accessible favorites. I’ll keep you updated!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Aaron Kovacs
- 18.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2021 Aaron Kovacs
- In-App Purchases
- Awesome Tip $2.99
- Super Tip $4.99
- Generous Tip $0.99
- Fantastic Tip $9.99