Discover a new word, every day, with Daily Dictionary. Words are selected by human editors. This means words that you can use in everyday conversation, writing and reports. No technical science jargon. With definitions, usage examples and synonyms, gain confidence to use language that you never normally would … as well as some words that are entirely new to you.
Daily Dictionary features daily notifications, lock screen widget and Siri integration with iOS 12 Siri Shortcuts. Word of the day your way. Siri Shortcuts lets you ask Siri ‘word of the day’ from anywhere, and display the daily word and definition inline to Siri.
Inside the app, view today’s word and look back to the past few weeks for even more inspiration. Upgrade with a subscription to unlock Dark Mode, Bookmarks, custom Apple Watch preferences, and advanced data shortcuts. Upgrades directly support the developer and the people who are writing the dictionary, featuring a new word, every day.
All this in a beautiful modern design. One word per day, all year round. This is the Daily Dictionary. Find out more at www.dailydictionary.com
Subscriptions will be charged through your iTunes account. Subscription renews automatically at $3.49 per year unless cancelled within 24 hours before the end of the current period. Manage your subscription in iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Auto-renewal can be turned off in Account Settings.
- Automatic Dark Theme support. You can now pick between three theme options; Automatic, Light Mode, and Dark Mode. Automatic mode respects the current iOS 13 system appearance.
- Support for rich trackpad and mouse cursor integration on iPadOS 13.4.
- A few miscellaneous bug fixes. Specifically, the custom iPad grid layout would sometimes not display when Bingo Machine was first launched.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is a nicely done app. Thanks. The subscription is quite reasonable.
A few suggestions:
- Please add bookmarks to the Apple Watch detail screen.
- I agree with some of the other comments that it would be nice to have more obscure words more often. I realize it is hard to please a broad base. Maybe there could be an “advanced mode” that sprinkles in more challenging words now and then. I realize that generates extra work, as well.
Words most native English speakers already know
It’s an attractive app and the Apple Watch notifications are thoughtful, but even though I upgraded, I’m still being shown words that are way too easy and don’t pose an issue for native English speakers. Singe, serene, decay, siphon—really? Yes I’m a reader and a writer but anyone with a decent vocabulary will not be challenged by many of these.
Contrast this with the many “word of the day” apps and websites out there that feature words that are actually challenging or often misunderstood. A random sampling of today’s words of the day includes polysemy, atypical, opusculum, and and pulchritudinous. (Now *there’s* a word.)
Also, no etymologies (word origins), which are often the most interesting part of a word definition and can greatly help in memorization.
Very appealing simple design!
Really like the design, it doesn’t beg for attention or have a brand attached, feels almost like a system app. Only recommendation would be to add whether the word is a noun, verb, adjective, etc. Other than that, this seems like a super cool thing to wake up and take a look at everyday!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Anthony Mayo
- 28.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Benjamin Mayo
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Subscription $3.99
- Premium Unlimited Unlock $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.