Introducing Smart Folders: Automatically curate articles using a combination of matching title keywords and folders.
Elytra is a privacy focused RSS Feed reader.
Elytra is the first Feed Reader on iOS & macOS to bring native text & image rendering to the Article Reader. It’s fully featured, customizable and ever evolving.
PRIVATE: Your account is automatically setup and is completely private. No passwords to remember. Elytra does not collect any personal information from you.
PRIVACY: Elytra strips out all tracking scripts and tracking pixels from articles to ensure your reading habits are always kept private.
MODERN FEED FORMATS: Elytra supports both XML and JSON feed formats.
PUSH NOTIFICATIONS: Get real-time updates from your favorite blogs which support the WebSub protocol.
LOCAL NOTIFICATIONS: Get near real-time updates from blogs which do not support push notifications.
LOCAL BOOKMARKS: All your bookmarks are locally available to read and refer even when you’re offline.
NATIVE RENDERING: Elytra renders articles using native features of iOS to bring inclusive features like Dynamic Type, Voice Over for Accessibility and reduce usage of tracking scripts.
IMAGE LOADING: Elytra provides various image loading options so you can save on mobile bandwidth and load images you deem necessary.
SYNC: Elytra supports cross-device sync using its API. Access your feeds on your iOS Devices, Mac devices as well as in the browser.
SEARCH: Search for a feed, then an article and then snippets within the article. Elytra is the first RSS Reader to support search within articles.
APPEARANCE: Elytra supports both Light and Dark themes. You can choose between various Serif and Sans-Serif fonts or even custom fonts you have installed on your device.
LINKED HEADERS: When the Article Author goes through the trouble of linking headers with IDs, it only makes sense that Elytra enables you to share direct sections with your friends & family.
MUTE FILTERS: Clean up your feeds from unwanted topics, spoilers, and noise.
WIDGETS: Elytra supports four unique widgets across all platforms to bring your favourite feeds and updates to your homescreen.
Elytra cannot connect to or sync with other RSS Syncing or Aggregation services.
The iOS App is also available on the App Store.
I wish you a healthy & safe 2023. Elytra's Jan 2023 release is full of fixes and stablity improvements.
- App now uses the article's date for notification timestamps
- Improves app responsiveness and reduces disk I/O usage.
- Improved networking stack
- Changed Preferences menu title to Settings on macOS 13.x
- Marking articles read/unread is now a local operation, i.e. if the Cloud request fails for any reason, the information is persisted and will be synced with the Cloud API once your device or the service is reachable across the interwebs.
- Assortment of fixes from various crash reports
- Fixed rendering and scrolling slowness on macOS 13.x
- Ongoing fixes for filtering articles
- Fixed feed title not being fully visible upon scrolling
- Fixed custom feed title not being used
- Fixed stuttering when image loads and scrolling in the article reader.
If you see continuous errors when fetching information about subscriptions, purchasing or restoring: please check if you have a custom DNS blocker enabled on your device. Some of these prevent connections to the service Elytra now uses to manage subscriptions. You may have to unblock `api.revenuecat.com` in your DNS blocker settings to get things to work.
Ratings and Reviews
Good RSS reader
I have tried a whole bunch of RSS apps on the App Store and I like this app. It has its own personality, which is important. It allows a fair bit of customization. The focus on privacy is also good.
But, I won’t be using it because this is a subscription based app. I would rather pay an upfront fee to buy the app, so I would be sticking to Reeder for now and upgrading to Reeder 4 when it comes out.
Update to dev: yes a one time purchase is a vastly preferred alternative. I would be okay with using iCloud sync if that lowers your recurring costs and an upgrade every few years would be fine too.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your honest review. Would a life-time purchase be more compelling for you on contrast to a subscription model?
Update: Hi, I have updated the pricing and added a new one-time payment option as well. Do check those out.
A simple but effective RSS reader
I just recently discovered RSS readers. Upon realizing what I’ve been missing out on, I immediately downloaded a few different apps to try. Elytra is the clear winner in my book.
It’s simple and super clean. The fact that it automatically creates an account for you and handles feed syncing itself is a huge plus.
I did notice one small issue where the Macworld feed wouldn’t load. I messaged the developer on Twitter and he immediately responded and pushed an update to (mostly) fix the issue, with a promise to fully fix it with a future release.
I’m excited to see where the future of this app goes and considering it is so new and already such a great experience to use puts it at 5 stars for me.
Updating a previous review in which I went into detail about some bugs I encountered. I’m happy to say I tried it again today and it worked flawlessly the first time! Loving it so far. I think this is exactly what I’ve been looking for in an RSS reader, especially the focus on privacy. Thank you!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for updating your review. I’m happy to have you onboard. Cheers.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nikhil Nigade
- 26.8 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017-2023 Nikhil Nigade
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial $0.00
- Monthly Subscription $0.99
- 1 Month Subscription $0.99
- Yearly Subscription $10.49
- 3 Months Subscription $2.99
- Lifetime Subscription $54.99
- 1 Year Subscription $12.99