SoundSaw is a complex sound processing app with easy-to-use controls designed to distort the sound of musical instruments or voice, and give the sound the aesthetics and atmosphere of noise, lo-fi, chiptune and experimental music scene.
Depending on the settings, it can add light distortion and saturation to the sound for a more natural and lively sound, or drastically change the sound and make it as loud and harsh as possible, full of all kinds of harmonics, crackles and rattles. The settings of this app provide great opportunities for experiments with sound destruction.
All controls are located on a single screen, grouped by function into six sections with a plain way of signal path from the first section "Input" to the last section "Output". The chain of individual effects in this app is designed in such a way as to get the most interesting result for any parameter values in the widest possible range.
- Simulates different types of signal processing electronic circuits and their typical harmonic saturation and noise (static and dynamic).
- The Maximizer keeps the maximum signal level for more noticeable distortions and feedback effects, and has a mode for hold the maximum volume when the input signal decays.
- The Overload effect works like an electronic circuit when the signal is much higher than the maximum allowable level and oversaturated the signal various kinds of harmonics.
- The Decimator and Bitcrusher effects produce very noticeable digital artifacts typical of cheap devices with simple DACs / ADCs, and add various kinds of crackles and rattles.
- The Feedback effect is similar to acoustic feedback, but more controllable, with the resonant frequency varying in accordance with the harmonics of the input signal.
- The 4-pole filter controlled by the envelope generator can be used after distortion effects. Filter types: Low pass, High pass, Band pass and Notch.
- The envelope generator is controlled by the input signal and can generate a single cycle of envelope, repeat cycles or work continuously.
- At the output there is a filter that can cut the high or low range of the original signal and mix it with the processed signal.
SoundSaw is a universal application for iOS and macOS. It can work on iPhone and iPad as well as Mac / MacBook with M1 chip (and later). SoundSaw works on iPhone and iPad standalone, as an Audio Unit or Inter-App Audio module, and supports Audiobus and Ableton Link. On macOS, SoundSaw can works both as a standalone application and as an Audio unit (AUv3) with DAWs and audio unit hosts like Ableton Live, Logic Pro, GarageBand, MainStage, Cockos Reaper, Plogue Bidule, Hosting AU, and other hosts that support AUv3 plugins. All application features are available on iOS and macOS, including MIDI support (with a MIDI learn option) and audio unit parameters. SoundSaw has a built-in detailed description of all parameters also available as PDF file on application site.
You can find more information on SoundSaw and other experimental and audio processing apps at:
This update makes SoundSaw a truly universal iOS and macOS application. It can work on iPhone and iPad as well as Mac / MacBook with M1 chip (and later). On macOS the SoundSaw can works both as a standalone application and as an Audio unit (AUv3) with DAWs and audio unit hosts like Ableton Live, Logic Pro, GarageBand, MainStage, Cockos Reaper, Plogue Bidule, Hosting AU, etc. All application features are available on macOS, including MIDI support and audio unit parameters.
Also in this update:
- Added MIDI support.
- Adapted to work on macOS as a standalone and as an AUv3 plugin.
- App setting to restore parameters for audio unit.
- Optimization of the audio engine.
- Built-in description has been updated.
- Minor bugs were fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
A M A Z I N G plugin - will it be on MacOS?
This review is mostly to reach out to the dev.
But I have to state that SoundSaw is a lushious distortion plugin, although distortion doesn't quite cover it.
It's a mix between distortion, compression, envelope and filter that creates dirty, pumping monstrosities with exquisite musicality.
If you're looking to impulse-purchase, you can't go wrong with this one.
Anything that needs soulful noisiness might do with a bit of SoundSaw. Be it gritty techno, lo-fi house or muddy 90s Boards of Canada vibes, SoundSaw is less of a tool and more of a creative partner.
So with AUv3 support in the latest Ableton Live 11.2 beta, I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it on the mac? I'd really like that.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Igor Vasiliev
- 12.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Igor Vasiliev
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.