New: Support for Apple Watch and Pebble Watch notifications.
New: Now updated for iOS 7, iOS 8, and the iPhone 6 and 6 plus with a Today Extension.
New: Now includes a Jewish Clock that comes up whenever the phone is held sideways. You can use the Jewish Clock as a night clock while the phone is plugged in. The clock displays the current time, the Jewish date, information about the current day, custom events, and upcoming praying times or Candle lighting times.
New: Now includes the complete book of Esther read on Purim!
Pocket Luach Deluxe is an application that converts Jewish dates to and from regular dates. It also displays the name and dates of Jewish holidays and Jewish significant days. Pocket Luach Deluxe displays the name of the Parasha read on Shabat and holidays. Unlike Pocket Luach, this version of the software can:
* Keep track of all your contacts' jewish dates (birthdays, anniversaries...)
* Add dates directly to your contacts
* Export your Jewish dates to iCal
* Create reminders for praying times or any other time
* "Jewish Clock" mode to display a Jewish clock when the iPhone is held sideways
* New! Now includes the complete book of Esther read on Purim
List of the other features:
* Convert any date from the Jewish Calendar to/from the Civil Calendar
* Display all jewish holidays and significant Jewish events in history
* Display the name of the torah section read on Shabat, Jewish holidays, and Rosh Hodesh
* iPhone Pocket Luach settings tab available to configure the many features of the software
* UI is skinned (may be turned off in the iPhone's settings)
* List view that displays all upcoming events (Holidays...)
* List View can generate reports thru email (all days off needed, all Parashot...)
* Time View display praying times for anywhere in the world thru GPS location finding. A default location is definable in the iPhone settings view.
* Time View calculation rules is fully customizable in the iPhone's settings. Pocket Luach can therefore match whichever custom you follow.
* A Note View displays built-in comments about a selected date whenever available.
* A Siddur view displays the prayers for morning, afternoon, & evening services. it also displays the prayers after a meal or snack and the prayer said while traveling.
Other solutions exist on the web with similar functionalities but require a live internet access and/or a desktop computer to work. Also, the very fact that they require a live internet connection makes them very slow to use.
Being a native iPhone application, Pocket Luach allows for quick and simple conversion of dates on the go. This is useful for any observant Jew or for Gentiles doing business with observant Jews. For instance, with Pocket Luach, one can quickly make sure a proposed date for an appointment does not fall on a Jewish holiday before finalizing the date.
Here is the much anticipated 4.00.00 version of Pocket Luach. It still has a few minor rough edges but we wanted to share it with you as soon as it reached a stable state. This version includes a lot of new features but expect even more features trickling down very often as we release more updates...
* New iOS 7 and iOS 8 support: a new look that takes advantage of iOS 7 new capabilities.
* iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ support.
* A new iOS 8 Today's screen extension. Now Pocket Luach will display the Jewish Date in your lock screen when you pull down the Today view.
* Now you can create new appointment in iCal directly from Pocket Luach. Very practical when you want to schedule an appointment and want to make sure it doesn't fall on a Jewish holiday.
* Now you can also use an interactive map to define a location for Pocket Luach
* Better integration with iCal. Now export your Jewish events as well as Jewish Holidays directly to iCal.
Plus many bug fixes and improvements across the software.
Ratings and Reviews
The location request interferes with access to the calendar even after I enter my location. I'll try another calendar.
Not good and no promised updates
For an app that actually cost so much it is poorly designed. If I would have known all the following shortcomings I would not have paid for such an app.
1. An event can only be added from the phone contacts. Really?! You have to add a dead person to your phone contacts to set up a yartzeit. Same with a child's birthday that is not in contacts.
2. You cannot set up an alarm to remind you hours or days in advance of an event.
3. Once you added a person's event you can only delete the event but cannot delete the person from the "list of events".
4. Only the three custom events the developer gives you. Cannot make your own.
5. After my November review I was in touch with the developer who admitted that my criticism was valid and correct. He promised an update "soon" to fix the issues I raised. It is now 3 months later and no update. Still the same issues as mentioned above. Obviously he does not care. Don't waist your money. Bad app and no support.
I love, love, this app! I use it every day. It's intuitive and has an attractive design, unlike so many others that are so boring in appearance and unintuitive. So glad they got an update to make it work with iOS 8 as at first it didn't work with the new OS. Thanks, guys!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.