Concise English Dictionary & Thesaurus is the ideal, all-in-one reference, with a dictionary and a thesaurus combined in one handy, integrated app.
"The app’s clean interface, speed, and size make it a compelling and useful addition to the iPhone or iPod touch."
- Ben Boychuk, MACWORLD
• Concise English Dictionary uses one of the largest English dictionary databases. It includes up to 591,700 entries and more than 4.9 million words
• High quality audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
• 134,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
• Word origins (etymologies)
• Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
• Clear and precise definitions
• Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Concise English Dictionary includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms, idioms, prepositions, conjunctions, determiners, interjections, abbreviations, contractions, common misspellings, irregular forms and even Old English words
• Thesaurus functionality with word links
• Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
• Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth-scrolling screens
• Editable history/bookmarks function
• Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
• Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
• No internet connection required
• Ready for iOS 11
• Enhanced for iOS 11
• Ready for iPhone X
• Updated definition and etymology databases
• Improved search suggestions
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Love it. On my home screen. No BS dictionary.
My only complaint is you can't export your bookmarked words or sync them across devices.
Great resource; needs one minor fix
I use this app a lot, and enjoy its speed, word filtering as I type in new words, and breadth of words covered. When I reopen the app it defaults to my last word searched, which is a good reminder/reinforcement tool. But here's my suggested fix: From that point, I should be able to press the search button and my old word goes away. The way it is now I press the search button AND THEN have to delete the last search word from the search box. Two clicks, one completely unnecessary. Can't figure why the developer doesn't just clear out the box for me and give me a fresh start - what possible (frequent) reason would I want that last word filled in that box?!
Always quick and easy
- Csaba Kertesz
- 332.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2008-2017 jDictionary Mobile
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.