• FileViewer XL is a file viewing, storage, transfer, printing, and email application for the iPad. It includes one of the best PDF viewers for the iPad and can also view many other file types. Files are transferred to FileViewer XL, via iTunes (Finder in Mac OS 10.15 Catalina), using a Wi-Fi or USB connection, or via email, AirDrop, the Files app, or connected devices such as thumb drives.
• Supported file types for direct viewing or listening include portable document format (.pdf), Microsoft Word (.doc & .docx), rich text format (.rtf), plain text files (.txt), Microsoft Excel (.xls & .xlsx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt & .pptx), iWork files (.pages, .key, & .numbers), HTML documents (.html & .htm), web archives (.webarchive), image files (.jpg, .jpeg, .jp2, single & multipage .tif/.tiff, .gif, .bmp, & .png), audio files (.m4a - Apple Lossless & AAC formats, .mp3, .wav, and .aif), video files (.mp4, .m4v, .mov, and .3gp), and other file types (.h, .m, .c, .java, .js, .csv, & .log).
• PDF reader is fast, handles large pdf files, and opens password-protected pdfs. A thumbnail scroll bar feature facilitates viewing of long documents. Pages can be bookmarked.
• Photos from the Photos app on the iPad can be transferred to and viewed in FileViewer.
• Images can be copied from this app to the iPad's camera roll. Images in a given folder can be viewed as a slide show.
• Audio player which plays audio files in the background.
• Video player with picture-in-picture feature.
• Landscape mode as well as zooming and panning is supported for viewing documents and images.
• Web browser allows for saving of files from the internet to FileViewer XL.
FILE & FOLDER MANAGEMENT
• Folders can be created to organize files.
• Files and folders can be deleted and renamed as well as moved or copied from one folder to another.
• Multiple files can be deleted or moved to a different folder at the same time.
• FileViewer files can be opened in other apps on the iPad.
• File and folder lists can easily be filtered by file type, folders, search phrase, and first letter of name.
• Global search feature allows for searching of all directories for a given file or files.
• Files and folders can be sorted by date, size, and modification date (ascending & descending).
• Zip archives can be transferred to and unzipped in FileViewer, providing easy one-step transfer of groups of files and/or folders. Zip archives can be created from files and folders stored in FileViewer XL.
• Capability to save most document types as a PDF.
• Dragging and dropping of files into folders.
• With AirDrop, users can share files between supported iPadOS devices, as well as between an iPadOS device and computer.
• Post images and web pages to Facebook and Twitter.
• Files ≤ 20 MB can be emailed as an attachment.
• Email attachments can be transferred from the iPad's Mail app to FileViewer XL.
• Documents and images can be printed to AirPrint/ePrint compatible printers.
• Connectivity to iCloud Drive, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive.
AIRPLAY & DISPLAYING FILES ON AN EXTERNAL DISPLAY
• Using AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream iPad screen output, via an Apple TV, to an HDTV.
• Audio can be wirelessly streamed using AirPlay, via an Apple TV, to an audio system.
• iPadOS 13 (or higher).
• Files are transferred to FileViewer XL, via iTunes (Finder in Mac OS 10.15 Catalina), using a Wi-Fi or USB connection, or via email, AirDrop, the Files app, or connected devices such as thumb drives.
• Use your fingerprint (Face ID on iPad Pro 3rd generation) or a password to protect access to FileViewer XL.
• Individual files are protected using iOS data protection.
• Help is built into and available from within the FileViewer XL application.
• Updated screenshots for App Store
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
it should be urgently improved
I expected the fileviewer to organize all my documents into folders on my iPad; it does but unfortunately there is no way to just transfer a folder and subfolders in one move. But I have created my folders again and transferred the files. I can view everything but then of course I need to use a file and edit it..... Only way to do is by mailing it and it works by mailing it to myself and then from within mail open it with pages or numbers; however I thought I could also do that without having an internet connection by clicking on the attached file while the mail is still in the outbox.... no way!
I changed recently to apple and I am very very happy; I also dumped my laptop and will use only the iPad for business trips but why they make life so difficult?? Why can we not have our files in folders on the iPad and then open what we need and edit? You can do it in pages but there you can not make folder; imagine for example 10 GB of files all in one long list.... I hope solutions are around the corner
I purchased this app a few days ago, and I am very impressed so far. Transferring files is fairly quick and easy through iTunes, and the transferred files actually reside on the iPad (unlike with the "cloud" services. It handles many more types of files than you can use through iCloud, as iCloud will only transfer files that are compatible with iWorks apps.
The directions on the developers website are somewhat sparse, but it's a pretty simple to use app. I contacted Customer Support via email with a few suggestions for future releases, and they emailed me back within a very short time.
The iTunes transfer method will only allow you to transfer files; not folders. Customer Support told me a trick of compressing the entire folder into a compressed file (zip, rar, etc.), then transfer the compressed file and uncompressed in on the iPad in the app. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it can be a time saver on transferring large amounts of files and complete folders.
I highly recommend this app!
Works great - beats some of the PDF readers out there
Compared against PDF Reader Pro for iPad - File Viewer XL out performed and was able to read all files I transferred over, where PDF Reader Pro couldn't. Great user interface!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.