Get the FREE NOOK Reading App for your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to start enjoying Barnes & Noble’s award-winning eBook discovery and digital reading experience. Access our vast online library of over 4 million eBooks, graphic novels, comics, and magazines; plus, enjoy recommendations just for you curated by our expert booksellers. Customize your experience with multiple font and page styles and powerful organization and social sharing tools.
Put down your reading and pick up where you left off—even as you jump from one screen to another.
Barnes & Noble at Your Fingertips
• Browse Bookstore for the latest new releases, bestsellers, and expert recommendations just for you! The more you use NOOK, the better our suggestions.
• Purchases completed on Barnes & Noble’s website will automatically appear on your device.
• Over 75,000 FREE titles! Try a new author or start a new series risk-free. Download free eBooks directly from Bookstore.
• Download free book samples and add favorites to your Wishlist.
Rich, Customizable Reading
• Adjustable font styles, line spacing, margins, page animations, and screen brightness for more comfortable reading. Use our Day, Night, and Evening themes or create your own background and text color combinations.
• Add notes, bookmarks and highlights as you read.
• Organize your Library with custom stacks of eBooks, magazines and your own files.
• Search inside the book and look up words with the downloadable in-app dictionary.
• Accessible to blind and low vision users leveraging Apple assistive technology, including screen magnification and VoiceOver.
Create Your Own Quote Cards
• Found an inspiring or beautiful sentence in your book? Highlight and tap on ‘Share’ to launch the quote editor and create a custom Quote Card.
• Choose your favorite background and share with friends on social networks, email, and text message.
Discovery Delivered Daily
• Visit B&N Readouts for daily streams of free book excerpts, magazine articles, and all kinds of bookish news—including reviews from our community. Share on social, email, and other apps.
• Join the thousands of NOOK readers on Serial Reads, Barnes & Noble’s latest free reading program. Enjoy a book every month, delivered FREE in daily chapters directly to your device. Titles are hand-picked by B&N editors across genres.
• Enjoy our Free Fridays eBook selection every week.
• Search results now have the option of being viewed using list view.
• Purchases must now be archived before having the option to Permanently Delete.
• New warning dialog before downloading large books over cellular.
• Additional bug fixes, accessibility and performance improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Not happy with the new update!
Before the update you could see the cover of all the books you had available to read in your library. Now you have to scroll through either by author or title and click on each to see them. Of course you can see recent ones that way, but I want to see all my books like it was before. Plus I have to do this with all my archived books also which takes forever if you can’t remember who wrote it or the exact title. I do not understand why they had to change that aspect of the app. Bring that option back, please!! Ok, they let me know I could view them that way by title or most recent, which is good, but why take away the choice by author? For those of us that read a lot this seems like a crazy change to make, this is a reading app after all, anything available in title should be available in author also(the same format). So, still no 5 stars because of that. Don’t understand why you changed that option:(
Thank you for listening and adding back the choice to search by author or title with the book cover. I am very happy!! You get your 5 stars back:)
Developer Response ,
Hi JAMarsh65, you can still view your Library items by cover -- all you have to do is open the sort/filter menu (tap the bolded text along the top left that likely says “All Types by Author”) and Sort By “Most Recent” or “Title.” You can also change to Filter By "Archived," to view just the items you've archived. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support team or visit the FAQs for tips and tricks on getting the most out of the new experience.
Frustrating, riddled with bugs, counterintuitive
I used to love my nook app - it was easy to use for all ages. There have been so many unnecessary changes rolled out so poorly that no one in the family wants to use their nooks because the app keeps changing, is counterintuitive, and frustrating - they’ve all downloaded kindle instead, and have asked me to simply buy paper books. Problems include: I can’t sort my archive - while it appears as an option in another family member’s profile, my profile does not have that option. With more than 400 books in my archive, it’s extremely difficult to find the books I want to read. Even if I know the author and exact title, the search function does not call up books we know are in the archive - they appear when I scroll through the archive, but not in search. Additionally, here’s the most ironic bug: the send feedback/report a bug feature doesn’t work - you can type, but the “send” button is grayed out and unavailable. Every time there’s an update I have to spend several hours scouring the FAQs to see if they took away functions or if we’re just seeing a bug, then analyze whose profile and account works correctly, then try it figure out why some family members have x function but others don’t. EVERY update at least one family member’s account or profile has a bug; and now, to even report the sorting bug, I had to go into one of my kids’ profiles since I couldn’t!
Developer Response ,
Hi KA, thanks for this feedback. These issues were not previously reported to us. The archive sorting issue for secondary profiles will now be fixed in the next release. But in the meantime, you can fix this by signing out and signing back into your account.
We are not able to reproduce the search or feedback bugs. The feedback form is dependent on you having Apple Mail set up, so please ensure that is true. We would love to be able to receive that mail because it may help shed light on the search issue. To discuss further, you can also use the customer service email link found on NOOK’s App Store page.
Alright performance, gets the job done.
I used to have a Nook, but abandoned it after I saw that the App Store's nook app is better than the Nook itself. There's not as much lagging with page turn animations, it's more stable, the different color schemes look better, overall it's just better. Now I've also tried the Kindle app, and what really sells me on the Nook is the book stacking feature. I own Piers Anthony's series "Xanth" which is currently 34 books and running, and it definitely helps to have all those Xanth books in an automatic collapsable folder. Now some book series are filed under slightly different series names so you have a series split into 2 folders, but I see less and less of them with each update. Unless you're designing your own ebook reading app, I believe Nook is the best out there.
2019 update: Overall impressions unchanged. Nook has continued with quality of life and stability updates while Kindle on iOS lags behind. Series breaking greatly reduced. I don’t believe any in my current library suffer this issue. Kindle is no longer an option for me, even with Amazon’s occasional sales.
- 164.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2010-2020 barnesandnoble.com llc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.