A vibrant way of reading the TLS on your Apple device. With its combination of literary discoveries, incisive criticism, essays, poems and debate, the TLS is for anyone with an interest in the world of culture and ideas. In addition, you will find an easy search function, the weekly TLS podcast and full access to years of back issues. From fiction to philosophy, religion to politics, social studies to film: TLS readers can decipher, discuss and delve into it all.
The TLS app is free to download and you can access the contents in the following ways:
1) If you subscribe to the TLS, simply log in by using your surname and your subscriber number.
2) You can buy individual issues for £2.99 or an auto-renewing subscription at £7.99pm from the iTunes store.
Subscription renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of your current period, otherwise the account will be charged as normal. You can manage your subscription and turn off auto-renewal by going to Account Settings.
The TLS app has been updated to include our new designs, layout and logo, making it even clearer and easier to read and enjoy
Ratings and Reviews
Works fine in a pinch
I prefer the paper — the feel, the smell, the look of it, the turning of its pages and folding it in half to tuck it under my arm as I make my way to wherever I’m not content to be without the TLS by my side — but there are times when I’m finished with the paper or when I haven’t brought it with me, and this app does well to provide a not-too-far-off-from-the-paper satisfaction. It’s not beautiful, as the paper is, but it’s all there. Too, the archive goes way back, so there’s always something new (to me) to read.
Very poor app
Worst digital subscription app I have had the sad occasion to pay for using. Can’t remember my subscription information and provides no means to sign in to one’s account. Open the account tab and you are informed you are not authorized to view YOUR account information. All past issues locked for access by digital subscribers only, though you are and for several years have been a suffering digital subscriber. Sometimes the app remembers who you are and lets you in. Other times it does not and since it doesn’t allow you to sign in (how elementary a convenience!) you must again send an email to find out how to get in—when you want to read an issue now, not three days hence. This has been going on for 3 years and no web site improvements in that time. Tossing the app and keeping the print edition.
I guess I’m not the target user, but who is?
While I so far I haven’t had the login issues that others have reported, I have substantial complaints:
1. I prefer to select what to read based on the topic and author of the books being reviewed, but that information is deeply buried. Thematic heads like “SCIENCE” are often too broad to help.
2. The information that is prominent in the table of contents includes reviewers’ names that I only sometimes recognize, and review titles, selected for cleverness rather than utility.
3. In print, I read a bit of the review, then look at who the reviewer is, and return to the review. In the app, this is a cumbersome process.
4. On my iPad, the app will orient to landscape from either side, but portrait only one way, and not the way that would be most useful.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Times Newspapers Limited
- 27.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- The TLS app for iPad is published by The Times Literary Supplement Limited. © Copyright The Times Literary Supplement Limited 2012. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- The Times Literary Supplement $9.99
- TLS 25/11/2016 $2.99
- TLS 28/11/14 $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.