Communication Made Simple
Not being able to speak on your own is difficult. Talk For Me - Text to Speech, designed and engineered by a person who lost the ability to speak, seeks to make your life easier. Type in the main text area or tap one of the six main custom buttons and your iOS device will talk for you. Want to set up more custom phrases? Swipe up for more pages with custom editable buttons. Need even more? Save phrases in an archive database. This is great for saving partial sentences. A quick swipe left, select a sentence from your archive, and it will appear in the main window ready for you to complete. Can you type fast or need to spell a word? Turn on the Auto Speech Function to have every word or letter spoken as you enter it. Together with keyboard shortcuts, predictive text and your custom phrases, this app will allow you to communicate with ease.
• No active internet connection needed.
• Ad Free
• Multiple Voices*, including the Alex voice**
• Enhanced Quality Voices***.
• Support for Dynamic Type****
• Siri Shortcuts Support
• Auto Speech Function (Optional) - Every word is spoken as you enter it.
• Semi-Auto Speech Function - Use the keyboard return key to speak the text you typed.
• Punctuation Aware - Use Commas, Question Marks, Exclamation Points
• Undo Feature - Unintentional taps of the clear button are easily remedied.
• Slider to adjust the speech rate.
• Pause Button to stop speaking as needed.
• Quick Access Customizable Buttons (swipe up)
• Long press any custom button to set a descriptive title, custom phrase, and set the desired voice.
• Easily create a separate database of pre set phrases or sentence fragments that can be sent to the main window.
• Quick access to your archive. (swipe left)
• Portrait and Landscape Orientations
• Large buttons for easy use.
Please rate the app in the App Store. Go to MobileTouchTech.com for assistance and feature requests. Be careful to properly enter your email when using the Contact page as that will be my only way to reply. Or email me directly at darrin@MobileTouchTech.com.
* Languages currently supported are English (US) (AU) (UK), Spanish (MX) (ES), German, French (FR), Dutch (BE) (NL), Chinese (CN) (HK) (TW), Korean and Japanese.
** Alex is English (US) only. To use the Alex voice you have to first download it to your iOS device. Go to Settings -> Accessibility -> Spoken Content -> Voices -> English -> and select Alex to download the voice. (Requires iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina Display or later).
*** To use the enhanced quality voices, on your iOS device, open the Settings app, go to Accessibility > Spoken Content > Voices > and tap to download the enhanced version of the desired voice. At the present time, the following enhanced voices are supported (Requires iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina Display or later):
English (US) Siri Female "Nicky", Siri Male "Aaron", Alex, Allison, Ava, Samantha "Sam", and Tom
English (UK) Serena and Oliver
English (AU) Karen and Lee
Spanish (MX) Paulina and Juan
Spanish (ES) Marisol and Jorge
German (DE) Anna and Yannick
French (FR) Audrey and Thomas
Dutch (BE) Ellen
Dutch (NL) Claire and Xander
Chinese (CN) Siri Female "You-Shu" and Siri Male "Li-Mu"
Chinese (HK) Sin-Ji
Chinese (TW) Mei-Jia
Korean (KO) Yuna
Japanese (JP) Kyoko and Otoya
**** Dynamic Type: Open the Settings app. Go to Display & Brightness > Text Size and adjust the text to your preferred size. If you want even larger sized text, go to General > Accessibility > Large Text and turn that to On.
Ready for iOS 15, this update contains bug fixes and enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Speech Pathologist recommendation
I often recommend a free or inexpensive communication app for patients of mine who don’t need or can’t afford a more sophisticated device. I stumbled across this one while looking for a text to speech app. Most are the same; you type a message and hit a button to speak it, and you can save a limited number of messages you use frequently. Unfortunately all the messages are saved in the same place, so you have to look through them and select the one you want, which slows the process down. This app has that capability, but it also gives you 34 customizable buttons for frequently used messages. They’re incredibly easy to program and using the app to communicate is quick and intuitive. I’ve used many of these apps and this one is the best by far, and it’s free!
Fantastic for Voice Rest
I had vocal surgery and had to be on 15 days complete voice rest. My husband works nights, and I have two young boys who cannot read. I needed something that would speak for me. This app is amazing and simple. I connect to my Bluetooth speaker to get it louder when out. Love the custom common phrases. People constantly asked me the same questions. The custom phrases allowed me to answer quickly without having to type every time. My two boys even love the app now. So glad this was available.
Perfect For Thyroid Surgery
I’m preparing for a thyroidectomy next week and was told that I might not be able to talk for two weeks, or much less above a whisper. So I was looking for an app to help. Sure I can get a wipe board but who wants to write all day? I found this app and it was super super easy to install and set up! I LOVE the fact that you can pre-set 48 custom phrases! Really great job! Yes it was all free! No stupid ads or asking me to premium upgrade. Whomever designed this- thank you!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Darrin Altman
- 1.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Darrin Altman
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.