POLYGLOTS MONDO - an app that unlocks Japanese reading, listening and learning Japanese.
MONDO is made for all who have an interest in Japan, especially people studying Japanese who want to read and listen above their current level to access interesting content.
- Basic features are all Free.
Some premium feature needs "In App Purchase". See below "About premium feature".
- No need to register
1. MONDO lets you create an individualised reading program based on your interests and reading level:
- Relevant articles: MONDO includes articles which are categorised based on area of interest, such as Japanese news, art, food, drink, subcultures, and much more.
- Difficulty: articles are sortable by difficulty level to help you target the right reading difficulty level, if desired.
- Expected time to read: articles display the expected reading time, so you can choose to read shorter or longer articles based on your available time.
2. MONDO lets you read Japanese smoothly:
- Simple Tap Dictionary: If you find an unknown word when you read an article, tap the word and it will be shown in Hiragana and English. This enables you to understand an article even if there are many kanji you cannot yet read, while helping you improve your kanji study at the same time.
- Smart Scrolling: Articles can scroll automatically at your desired reading speed, to help improve your natural Japanese reading comprehension.
3. MONDO enriches your Japanese vocabulary and helps you learn through its “smart study” capability:
- Your Wordbook: Words you look up are automatically saved into your wordbook. This creates an automatic dictionary of new words you are learning, for future reference and study.
- Word Test: MONDO can create automated quizzes for you based on the words in your wordbook, to help you truly learn the meaning and the kanji.
4. MONDO includes a Japanese English Dictionary:
- MONDO’s onboard dictionary lets you look up words “in app” without resorting to browser-based translation programs.
- Words you look up in the Dictionary are also saved into your wordbook, further enabling your mastering of reading Japanese.
5. HandShake feature:
- You can find Japanese friends, and friends learning Japanese language.
- When you shake hands with other user, you can connect with them and see their study logs.
6. MONDO has feature to help your listening comprehension:
- You can listen to an audio narrated by native Japanese speaker.
- This content teaches you useful Japanese expressions through daily conversations
- Including an audio narrated by native Japanese speaker
# About premium features
- You can listen to an audio narrated by native Japanese speaker unlimited
- "本田家の日常" is available
- USD 1.99 / month, USD 10.99 / 6 months, USD 17.99 / year
- You can chat and Q&A with Japanese teachers and also use Listening Practice feature, "本田家の日常" feature unlimited.
- USD 8.49 / month, USD 41.99 / 6 months, USD 74.99 / year
3. Super HandShake
- If you use "Super HandShake" in HandShake feature, you can notice your handshake offer to others.
- 5 Tickets : USD 2, 10 Tickets : USD 3, 20 Tickets : USD 4.
## About Basic and Gold (auto-renewable subscription)
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
* Terms of paid Services
Get it now!
1. Fixes some bugs
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Add SELF-RECORDING feature
Great app. Add a self-recording feature in general or SPECIFICALLY under 本田家の日常 to compare your voice with natives’ voice in those lessons. Your premium will suddenly become so much more attractive.
Another suggestion is when you bookmark your favorite words, there should be examples included in the bookmarked words drawn from the sentences that the words are used. One idea is to have somewhere in the bookmark vocabulary of a word where, let’s say, when you search a particular word, sentences in articles containing that word will show up.
This helps learners retain vocabulary more easily as they have the context where the words are used and will know how to use them more properly.
Very useful, but needs some more kinks worked out
I really want to use this app more regularly, but then the more I use it, the quicker I remember how difficult it is to use the highlighting function. I want to be able to highlight the exact character I want and, if need be, copy and paste it in a different dictionary. Sometimes highlighting a word can make the app bug out which makes it all the more bothersome.
The dictionary in the app is just okay. I wish it would give other forms of the word. For example, the word I highlighted was “盗もう” but the dictionary couldn’t tell me the dictionary form of the word. Actually, the dictionary said “通訳ありません”. If I didn’t know what that form was, I would never know what the word means. A grammar dictionary would also be very helpful in this situation. That could be an idea for the future.
I really want to use this app more, but the highlighting and dictionary capabilities hurt more than they help. I’m looking forward to future versions of the app.
Good, but the quiz needs improvement
I like the choice of articles/headlines to look through. The word lists are great. The quizzes of the word lists however need to be a little more structured, and I would like those to count toward my study progress. Maybe if each quiz only had 30 questions and at the end counted you're right versus wrong answers. The rest of the app is great and works well. Thanks for making it!
- POLYGLOTS inc.
- 123 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2020 POLYGLOTS, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Subscription Basic $1.99
- Premium Subscription Gold $8.99
- Premium Subscription Listening only $10.49
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.