iKanji touch is a powerful kanji study and training tool covering over 2,000 JLPT and school grade jouyou kanji.
- Kanji are grouped by grade and JLPT and subdivided into sets of 20 for easy practice.
- Includes 2010 jouyou kanji.
- Reference ‘cards’ for each kanji with readings, stroke count, radical etc.
- Vocabulary browser with JLPT based sets
- Hear vocabulary pronounced using the Japanese text-to-speech facility
- List of example compounds for each kanji.
- Leitner System based spaced repetition Teach Me mode.
- Reading test to quiz you on kanji readings (onyomi and kunyomi).
- Meaning test to practice your ability to recognise the English meaning of a given kanji.
- Compound test to complete words by filling in the missing kanji.
- Stroke order test to practice writing kanji (not available for all kanji yet).
- Search for kanji by readings, stroke count, meaning or radical.
- Ability to create multiple practice sets and track wrongly answered kanji.
- Extras store where you can purchase additional features to tailor iKanji touch to your needs
Please note all kanji readings (onyomi and kunyomi) are in hiragana and katakana only. Romaji is not used in this application.
*JLPT sets are based on kanji usually taught at these levels and are not based on official listings for current tests.
- New dark mode available as in-app purchase from the Extras store.
- Bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Small issues but one of my favorite apps (I’ve bought a lot)
I found this app incredibly useful. My preferred method is to go through the pre-made sets of 20 each week, writing them out while I have the voice speak (at first I found it annoying that it also reads the vocal examples, but this is now my favorite part as I learn new words). I write the kanji in the app, then use a whiteboard, then make a flash card. I go back later add three kanji a day to the tested kanji. The kanji testing system is brilliant.
The only issues I’ve found so far is that the voice trips up any time there is a . in a kunyomi reading. It repeatedly pronounces the next syllable incorrectly. The other is that, despite testing the kanji for ‘one’, the app says I haven’t, but then will go back later and say that I have. Small thing that may just be a glitch on my end.
I bought this in a bundle pack with iKana and iKana Nōto. I love all three apps (I used iKana to tutor). I used iKana Nōto a lot more before I made the in-app writing purchase in this one, which may have been a waste of money but I don’t regret it. Turning your device on its side will give you more writing room which took me longer to figure out then it should have.
Overall, highly recommend and I wish they had a grammar app too. Don’t buy iKana Nōto if you plan on making the in-app writing purchase.
Great design / Bad animation
Probably the best kanji app to keep from getting bored that I’ve ever seen. However, the stroke order animation speeds up every time you move to the next kanji. 5 or 6 kanji in the animated stroke order is flashing so quickly that nothing can be learned from it. The old way of simply putting a picture with numbers beside each stroke would have been better. IOS 14.
Worth the money
I enjoy using this app. I think it's good for kanji recognition, not so much for being able to reproduce kanji on paper, but it definitely has improved my reading ability. One issue: some of the characters seem to be missing important readings, and I don't know why that is. The character 為 for instance does not include the reading 「ため」, which I would think is one of the most common readings? This app is otherwise so useful, it would be great if they could improve this issue.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Rory Prior
- 68 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2018 ThinkMac Software
- In-App Purchases
- Kanji Drawing Practice $0.99
- Kana Chart $0.99
- Dark Mode $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.