"NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game. Your goal is to grab as much treasure as you can, retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, and escape the Mazes of Menace alive."
iNethack2 is an iOS port of Nethack 3.4.3.
Original port in 2009 by Dirk Zimmermann which was called iNethack. Recently updated by Jeff King to work on modern devices, and renamed iNethack2.
· 10 tilesets (including original ASCII mode)
· Touchscreen gesture controls: swipe to pan, pinch to zoom
· Customizable keyboard shortcut controls
· Hearse (bones file sharing) integration
· Works on iOS7+
Some facts about NetHack:
· The first version of NetHack was released in 1987
· NetHack was a roguelike before people used the term roguelike
· You can play NetHack for years and still make new discoveries
· NetHack is one of the greatest games of all time
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Fix: iPhone X support - there were issues with the status text being hidden and other layout issues. This should be better now. Still some iPhone X specific things to tweak in the next release.
Ratings and Reviews
A worthy replacement. Well, almost.
This is a solid NetHack app that's easy to use. However, it seems to be missing some functions and commands, most notably the ability to choose a name for your adventurer, the ability to name your pets, and the ability to choose to partially pick up and set down stacks of items, or separate stacks into smaller stacks. And that function is really important, since it's kinda hard to manage your inventory with the current "all-or-nothing" system. Still, it's a solid NetHack experience that's faithful to the PC original.
No keyboard commands?
Man, buying an iPad was a really bad idea. No app other than word processors want to work with my stupid Bluetooth keyboard. I can't walk, I can't pick things up, I have to do everything with this useless touchscreen. Like, no offense, man, but what is the point of any NetHack if it doesn't take keyboard input? I thought maybe there would be a settings menu to turn keyboard input on but I can't find any...
EDIT: There *are* keyboard commands, but you have to press "abc" to use them. That is BIZARRE. Well, it's a functional port, other than that weird detail.
Better than original
Works just as well as the original, and this one has a better interface in my opinion, while allowing you to use keyboard imputs for the less commonly used keys. I liked the idea of incorporating settings into the apple settings menu. It even includes a whole cast of tilesets to use! On top of all that, it'a a great roguelike to begin with, and this game and it's variants can all run on literally any computer or device on the market. This game has intense, brutal, but fair difficulty.
The developer, Future Shock Software, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Future Shock Software LTD
- 15.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 Future Shock Software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.