Instant Kanji is a simple flash card application based on the world-renowned Kodansha Kanji Dictionary designed to help you improve your understanding of Japanese kanji characters while on the go.
Instant Kanji focuses on helping the learner grasp a character's core meaning based on that character's entry in Jack Halpern's Kodansha Kanji Dictionary and long a standard reference work in Japanese language education. The core meaning is a concise keyword that conveys the character’s most fundamental meaning, providing an instant grasp of the meaning and function of the character as a word-building element, and has been widely praised by students and educators alike as an effective learning aid.
Kanji characters have been grouped into easily manageable decks of ten characters each, making the app suitable for quick learning or review sessions, for example when commuting to work or standing in line at the supermarket. The app also features a self-evaluation mechanism so you can measure the progress of your review sessions.
Furthermore, if the user has either the original The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary for iOS or The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary: Revised and Expanded app installed, the user can instantly jump to the corresponding entry in those apps to further deepen their learning.
The app comes free with eight decks comprising all the kanji in Joyo Grade One, that is, all the characters that a Japanese elementary student will learn during their first year of elementary school. Through in-app purchases, the learner can then supplement this with different collections containing decks covering the rest of the 1,006 education kanji, Joyo Kanji taught to Japanese students in junior and senior high school, and other non-Joyo and Jinmei (names) kanji.
* based on the world-renowned The Kodansha Kanji Dictionary
* ability to jump to character's entry in The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary apps, if installed
* self-evaluation function to measure your review progress
* small, easily manageable deck size
* No internet connection necessary
We fixed an issue where the app was crashing on launch for certain iOS devices.
Ratings and Reviews
Doesn’t even start
I’m not surprised when older apps don’t start on iPadOS 15. I AM surprised when an app had an update (its first!) in five years a few days ago (1 Nov 2021) and STILL doesn’t even start.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
- 1.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 The CJK Dictionary Institute
- In-App Purchases
- Joyo kanji from grades 2 to 6 (93 decks) $2.99
- Other Joyo Kanji (113 decks) $2.99
- Non-Joyo and Jinmei Kanji (85 decks) $1.99