Discover and control what data is collected about you by Internet of Things technologies (or “resources”). The Internet of Things (or “IoT”) is everywhere. It consists of a myriad of devices and technologies that collect data about us - from cameras with facial recognition and other AI algorithms, to smart speakers that record what we say, or sensors that track our mobile phones to name just a few. The IoT Assistant app helps you discover and control what data is being collected by IoT resources around you - who is collecting it, who it is shared with, and for how long it is retained. New privacy regulations in the US and Europe require people who deploy IoT resources to disclose their data collection and use practices and to also give us some control over these practices such as opting in or out of them. The IoT Assistant app provides users with a single interface through which they can discover IoT resources around them and access privacy options made available to them by these resources.
If you would like to publicize the presence of one or more IoT resources in a particular area, visit our IoT Portal at iotprivacy.io to help IoT Assistant app users discover these IoT resources.
V1.2.3 features the following updates:
- Notification functionality: you can now customize your notifications, including the specific data collections you want to be notified about and the frequency of your notifications
- QR code support: In addition to location-based notifications, we now also support QR codes to publicize the presence of IoT resources and their data practices, including any privacy controls
- Simplified onboarding process: Login is only required to access advanced features (e.g. accessing privacy controls).
- Improved overall performance
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Requires Input by all to work
The app seems to work well, but will only work if individuals input IoT devices into the system. To enter devices you must go to their website and provide information about the device to be saved in their database that is then displayed on the app. For their experiment to work people and organizations need to devote time to enter IoT device(s) information.
The idea of the app is interesting, but it’s weird that I can’t add my device through the app…but the app is good though
I just down loaded the app. I created an account, answered all the questions and read all the policies. When it goes to the web page i get—ERROR . I go back a page and asked to go through the same process kust to go to the web sit and get —ERROR again. Can you help me ?
Developer Response ,
We are sorry about the problem you experience with our app! To better help you, could you please provide us more details of the “ERROR” that you get on your phone? Feel free to send us additional details or screenshots of the ERROR at email@example.com. We’d love to help you and figure out what went wrong. Thank you for providing the feedback! -- IoT Privacy Infrastructure team
- Carnegie Mellon University
- 60.8 MB
Requires iOS 14.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Carnegie Mellon University
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.