We designed iTrace over 5 years ago to teach children to write block and cursive letters and numbers. Our mission back then — and today — remains to make early childhood education productive and relaxed, natural at the same time.
While creating the app, we found out that children learn best when they repeat every exercise at least 3 times. In iTrace, a child traces each letter 3 times on every level out of 30 for each letter. Of course, every child learns at a different pace, so an app adjusts the number of levels to meet the needs of their individual student.
The app is ideal for homeschooling as well as classroom setting at Preschool, Pre-K, Kindergarten, and K1-K2 levels.
iTrace Key Features:
- Uppercase and lowercase letters
- Cursive and block letters
- Numbers 0 through 9
- Words: child's name, 350 preloaded words from the iTrace library and unlimited words that can be added by you
- Support of 3 different letter fonts: Zaner-Blosser, HWT (Handwriting Without Tears) and D'Nealian (with customized letters for each font!)
- Full support for both Left and Right handwriting orientation.
- 5 animated scenes that gather relevant words together to make learning fun with 50 animated objects (iPad only)
- History of each child's progress
- Unlimited children accounts
- Available at a reduced price with Volume Purchase Program for educational institutions
We created iTrace for kids:
- The app tracks and adjusts to your child's individual progress to keep their interest and to encourage progress
- To support how children learn writing skills, iTrace will replay exercises several times gradually increasing complexity and difficulty level (just like a game!)
- The app will reward progress with over 600 varying prizes for every completed exercise
- iTrace leverages context and animation to teach writing by encouraging children to select animated scenes composed of meaningfully combined objects
We created iTrace to help parents and teachers:
- The app tracks your child's progress on each individual letter and number to help them master handwriting and for adults to measure improvement
- iTrace supports easily switching to the Left-handed mode and to cursive letters.
- For offline practice, iTrace supports customization and printing of PDF worksheets on the paper.
We built iTrace to guard children’s privacy:
- No ads inside the app. We do not interrupt the learning process with anything unhelpful or irrelevant.
- No collection of personal data. We do not ask for any contact details except the first name of your student to personalize their experience.
- Purchases can only be made by adults from a part of the app that children cannot access.
iTrace is appreciated by parents, schools, and media:
"With an engaging, kid-friendly interface and many options to customize and track children's progress, iTrace is a valuable app for parents, teachers and occupational therapists.",
Libby Curran, People Magazine's Teacher of the Year
Featured in the App Store's "Education" category under Best New Apps!
— TUAW: "The app is brightly illustrated and well designed, certain to appeal to young students. Meant for the core 3-7 age group, kids can learn to trace uppercase and lower-case letters, as well as numbers."
— Teachers With Apps: "This app is what every parent/teacher should have their children use to help learn proper letter formation. As a teacher, it helps fit handwriting into the school day so much easier!"
— 2Wired 2Tired: "…kids LOVE everything electronic. iTrace will make learning how to write letters, numbers, and words, both fun and interesting for your children.
— Mommy's Busy: "If you're looking for a fun, interactive way for your child to learn [...] you should consider trying iTrace."
If you have any ideas or feedback that you would like to share, please contact us at iTrace@devpocket.com. We are sincerely interested in knowing more about your experience with iTrace.
Ratings and Reviews
Really love the options, gentle music, history and extras.
Please connect cursive letters at least in the premodern words. The letter name and sound after each writing would be a good bonus option.
Great for working on handwriting for kids
This app is engaging and really has helped my older daughter with her handwriting skills. Now I'm using this same app with her little sister to improve her skills also. To the developers of this app please keep up the good work with this app and any other you may have in the App Store.
Great for Toddler
This is a great app for my 3 year old who has a very short attention span however I am having an issue with the sound. It would be awesome if it would say the letter she's working on so she can recognize the letter as well as write the letter
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Michael Bogorad
- 188.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 0–5
- © iTrace LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.