• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times •
Word Wizard is an award-winning app used in schools that offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10.
--Learn to Read by Building Words --
• The Talking Movable Alphabet activity allows kids to experiment with word building and phonics thanks to the advanced text to speech engine (the first step in learning to read)
• Any text can be written and spoken
• 2 child voices + 5 adult voices (US, UK & Australian voices)
• Uppercase & lowercase letters, numbers, digraphs, ABC or QWERTY keyboard
• Many settings to adapt the activities to the child’s needs (letter size, assign images to words, high contrast modes for kids with visual impairment,...)
-- Learn to Spell using the Talking Movable Alphabet and your word lists --
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 200 built-in word lists (about 2000 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes!
• Add your own images to illustrate your word lists
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• Used in Schools (140K units sold to schools)
• "This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction" - The New York Times
• "This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school " - Wired's GeekDad
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• More than 290K units sold!
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell-check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice, and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or QWERTY layout, letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or fewer letters on the board)
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
• Accessibility: external keyboard support and 4 high contrast modes available
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 200 built-in word lists: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities, and touchscreen so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
Please send any feedback or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Assigning images to words: you can now load more images from Wikimedia Commons
• Accessibility: external keyboard support for special needs kids who can't use the Movable Alphabet
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Boring for younger kids
It's a well thought out app but lacks playfulness and whimsy. My toddler (who is beginning to read and write) did two exercises and got bored after the dry "spell this, spell that" commands. Still it seems like a very promising app for older kids.
This is truly a dream come true app. I teach students from grades 2-7th grades with learning difficulties spelling. This program has helped students learn to spell and boost their confidence and grades. Students use the iPad while wearing earbuds, so I can have a full class working with no with interruptions from others. Students with writing difficulties appreciate working on the iPad in place of trying to print or cursive words that are already difficult to spell let alone write out. So using the iPad allows them to find success. I export the lists from my iPad and import them onto my students iPads. When I ad the spelling lists, I also ad a test. Grades have really gone up after using this app. I think this is my 4th year of using it and Pierre is wonderful to communicate with. He’s very helpful.
Developer Response ,
Words of Gratitude
I am so grateful for this App. I used it for my first son who has Autism . The app was a true confidence builder . The added features for speed , voice tone , colors , drag and pull were helpful collaboratively to engage him . I didn’t hesitate to use it for my 2nd son also with Autism . Now 13 and 10 , I still use it opposed to just saying words for them . I use another app that allows me to make our own list of words for spelling test etc however this App will always be held with the highest esteem for phonics and our strong foundation . I refer parents to it all the time .
Keesha , RN
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review - do you know that you can also add your own word lists in this app? If you need help, you can contact us at email@example.com
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.