The best app to learn Japanese Hiragana and Katakana. Practice drawing, reading, writing and speaking, then consult your statistics.
Learning Japanese language?
"Kana" will make you memorize, read and write the 2 Japanese alphabets: Hiragana & Katakana, and even track your progress!
The most popular Kana app on the AppStore.
• Kana tables (customizable)
• Drawing practice
• Quiz (multiple choice, keyboard and handwriting recognition)
• Progress tracking and statistics
• Optional study reminders
• Study mode
• NO ad / NO in-app purchase!
Bonus: configure the quizzes to your preferences and desired scope, consult your training history, progress or individual kana statistics and rankings.
Learn Japanese with ease once you master all the hiragana and katakana.
Kana is simple yet powerful, people love it and you will too.
Give it a try, and let me know what additional feature you want to see. I am continuously improving the app.
Better quiz experience!
- New: choose what to do when the correct answer is detected in hard mode (for both drawing and keyboard)!
- New: for drawing questions, you can pause the quiz and directly practice the correct drawing, useful when you got it wrong
- Better readability
- Refreshed look and feel
- Result screen: refreshed for a better UI and readability, also added a confetti animation when you score 100%!
- History screen: refreshed and simplified UI, quiz sessions can now be filtered by FlexSRS or practice, chart can now be hidden, added the "FlexSRS" mention when applicable.
- Top flashcards screen: Better readability and flashcards are now clickable.
- Modified the flashcard and free drawing screens to improve clarity.
This update also strengthens your privacy protection and includes other improvements, optimizations and fixes.
Love Kana? Download Benkyō, my other app, to Learn Japanese Vocabulary and Kanji.
Ratings and Reviews
A pretty good app to learn hiragana and katakana... But with few issues
I really like this app. The practice feature is great. And it helps you in the journey of learning Japanese... But there are a few issues with it. Sometimes it’s a little weird the pronunciation of every symbol. To explain this better it’s like a Japanese robot is talking, but it is barely understandable. Plus, when writing the kanas in the correct order,(with the practice feature in hard mode) the machine just gets exited and tells you it’s correct, even if you haven’t even finished to write it. This maybe a little confusing for some users (including me) and sometimes I just forget some details from the kanas that are very important to read ir properly. In conclusion, I think it is a great app to learn hiragana and katakana, but it can improve. Thank you for reading until the end and have a great day :)
Edit: nope, this is the best out there <3
Best yet kana practice found, look no further, this does the job splendidly
Wow, I’ve seen/used many apps offering kana practice but this one actually allows custom selections for targeting type of characters or personal choice to focus on. Very cool yet surprisingly lacking on many kana apps.
Furthermore several options to practice (ez multiple choice, a type romaji answer and even option to trace strokes free form) Very nice flexibility that isn’t typical. Ofcouse audio samples available too. It includes both katakana & hiragana with all variations. Plus you can’t beat the price.
Bravo on fantastic app, elegant in simplicity yet not lacking in features. Thanks much for your efforts. I appreciate & endorse your well crafted software.
Best learning app!
Not only does it provide the various Japanese alphabets. It tests you, and scores you on your progress. Tests are both reading, and writing. In just a few days I feel like I’ve learned more than I have in week. I am also thankful it provides an area for notes. I am a visual learner, so repetitive writing helps a lot as I learn each character individually. I also appreciate the other apps it offers to help further my language proficiency. I love learning languages, and enjoy individually learning them. But, this app has allowed me to learn quickly, and progress through it at a very enjoyable pace. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to learn Japanese.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Romain Pellen
- 112.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Romain PELLEN
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.