The best app to learn Japanese Hiragana and Katakana. Practice drawing, reading, writing and speaking, then consult your statistics.
Learning Japanese language?
"Kana" will make you memorize, read and write the 2 Japanese alphabets: Hiragana & Katakana, and even track your progress!
The most popular Kana app on the AppStore.
• Kana tables (customizable)
• Drawing practice
• Quiz (multiple choice, keyboard and handwriting recognition)
• Progress tracking and statistics
• Optional study reminders
• Study mode
• NO ad / NO in-app purchase!
Bonus: configure the quizzes to your preferences and desired scope, consult your training history, progress or individual kana statistics and rankings.
Learn Japanese with ease once you master all the hiragana and katakana.
Kana is simple yet powerful, people love it and you will too.
Give it a try, and let me know what additional feature you want to see. I am continuously improving the app.
Better quiz experience!
- New: choose what to do when the correct answer is detected in hard mode (for both drawing and keyboard)!
- New: for drawing questions, you can pause the quiz and directly practice the correct drawing, useful when you got it wrong
- Better readability
- Refreshed look and feel
- Result screen: refreshed for a better UI and readability, also added a confetti animation when you score 100%!
- History screen: refreshed and simplified UI, quiz sessions can now be filtered by FlexSRS or practice, chart can now be hidden, added the "FlexSRS" mention when applicable.
- Top flashcards screen: Better readability and flashcards are now clickable.
- Modified the flashcard and free drawing screens to improve clarity.
This update also strengthens your privacy protection and includes other improvements, optimizations and fixes.
Love Kana? Download Benkyō, my other app, to Learn Japanese Vocabulary and Kanji.
Ratings and Reviews
A pretty good app to learn hiragana and katakana... But with few issues
I really like this app. The practice feature is great. And it helps you in the journey of learning Japanese... But there are a few issues with it. Sometimes it’s a little weird the pronunciation of every symbol. To explain this better it’s like a Japanese robot is talking, but it is barely understandable. Plus, when writing the kanas in the correct order,(with the practice feature in hard mode) the machine just gets exited and tells you it’s correct, even if you haven’t even finished to write it. This maybe a little confusing for some users (including me) and sometimes I just forget some details from the kanas that are very important to read ir properly. In conclusion, I think it is a great app to learn hiragana and katakana, but it can improve. Thank you for reading until the end and have a great day :)
Edit: nope, this is the best out there <3
Excellent quality app!
I went though a lot of free Japanese apps while trying to learn hiragana and katakana. This one was the best quality I found, and it is free! The ability to customize quizzes, daily notifications, and especially the adjustable and customizable difficulty levels, are all awesome. I feel that the difficulty level adjustment was the boost I needed to really start memorizing, not just guessing. I thought that I would never be able to memorize all the exact strokes for the characters, so for a long time I left the Handwriting mode disabled. I was totally wrong! With the help of this app I am now able to read and write 100% of the characters in both sets. Kudos to the dev(s) for an amazing app, with a great look and feel and an excellent experience overall!
Perfect for memorizing kana
Great for just loading your brain up with all the many, many symbols of hiragana and katakana. Definitely go for it, it's the best I've seen.
Pro tip: if you want to see the "mastered" line go up quickly, use the "lowest streak" option. Also, if you want to specifically practice writing, select only writing - for some reason the auto test really favors reading when you select both.
Something I'd like to see is an option to read symbols together in the context of real words. I get that this is just to build familiarity with the symbols and not a vocabulary lesson, but I think the two go hand in hand. I haven't checked out their other apps yet, so maybe I'll find that feature on one of those.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Romain Pellen
- 112.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Romain PELLEN