Keyman makes it easy to type in over 600 different languages on your iPhone, iPad or iPod! Install all your language keyboards as a system keyboard and use them in every app on your iPhone or iPad!
- Hundreds more!
Keyman requires the "Allow Full Access" option to be switched on just once when you install a new keyboard, in order for your language keyboard to be installed into the system. For your privacy and security, you can then switch the option off again.
- Build custom keyboards with Keyman Developer and load them on your phone
- Smooth optimised keyboard layouts
- Built in browser displays your language even if iOS doesn't support it
Published on 2020-07-16.
* Improve performance when typing long documents with predictive text (#3302)
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app is amazing and provides the exact features I’ve been looking for for typing the Syriac language.
One bug fix I would suggest would be to change the default writing direction for Syriac to “right-to-left.”
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. This feature request is keyboard specific and usually it's up to the keyboard author to update his/her keyboard. Our keyboard library has several Syriac keyboards: https://keyman.com/keyboards?q=Syriac&x=48&y=12. You may look for the one you are referring to and contact the author accordingly. However, if the text direction has been set to RTL already, but in iOS it shows otherwise, there may be a bug which requires a deeper dive.
I can’t pick the keyboard from “Install From File”
I installed my keyboard from a link given by one of the Keyman developers because it’s not yet added to the supported keyboards. However after I download the keyboard, I can’t use it.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the rating. If you have the keyboard package (.kmp file) created/downloaded, you can install it following the instructions here: https://help.keyman.com/products/iphone-and-ipad/13.0/installing-custom-keyboards. For further question, reach out to us here at our community: https://community.software.sil.org/c/keyman/.
This changes everything...
For students of language and people whose languages aren't constrained by apple's limited options of keyboards, this is a must-have. Soft keyboards always had wonderful potential in being able to show you a full keyboard layout without having to remember complex codes or kayboard mappings. Now, with ios8, Keyman has system-wide accessibility. I can finally write ancient greek straight into word documents straight from my ipad! I couldn't be happier:
Now, make it perfect:
- Make it faster (switching into it from the keyboard swap, and cycling through languages)
- Give up on the large "Keyman" banner-- it's great advertising potential, but trust me, your users will be raving about you, and simply seeing the language of choice on the screen alone will grab your customers' attention. But on the limited space of a touch screen, the banner is far too huge and unnecessarily takes up too much precious screen space.
- Calibrate the touch areas behind the keys. On some keyboards the keys on the ends are hard to get a response from unless I use the very corner of my thumb and tap a very certain spot on the key.
- Icing on top: update the color scheme from ios6 to ios8
This will become standard software across all of academia. I'm recommending it to all my colleagues.
- Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc (SIL)
- 27.2 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 SIL International
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.