L.E.D. Lab is the quickest, easiest, most powerful way to drive your LED display! Custom programming is no longer required to get up-and-running. It is ideal for artists, professional display designers, architects, VJs, lighting designers, hobbyists, and anyone wanting to add a little animated color to their sculpture, art car, home, business or wardrobe.
L.E.D. Lab allows you to create a list of Scenes, which can be played back in order or shuffled. There are currently two kinds of Scenes:
● Pictures Scene - A montage of still images, videos, and live camera feeds is designed. The position, velocity, rotation, size, and coloring of each picture can be animated. You can use your own photos and videos, and the iPad camera. Rendering to odd-shaped displays is made possible with photographically-generated map files.
● Strips Scene - Particles of color are sent down each strip. The velocity, hue, saturation, and brightness of each particle can be animated.
Other features include:
● Music - Create lists of Tracks. Each track plays a song from your music library, along with any number of Scenes. You can elaborately choreograph a song, or let the Scenes play in random order.
● Audio Reactivity - Any animatable parameter may be controlled by the amplitude of audio in a specified frequency range.
● External Control - Any animatable parameter may be controlled by MIDI, DMX, ArtNet, or OSC.
● Color Keying - An image, video file, or live video feed can be made selectively transparent, making it easy to mix in with other images.
● Tiling - Any image, video file, or live video feed can be tiled in any or all directions, with adjustable spacing and fade-out.
● Display Modes - Editing can be performed with or without the LEDs connected. The editing UI can also be hidden, allowing operation in a "kiosk" mode.
So what kind of LED display can you make with L.E.D. Lab? Some Examples:
Any iOS device can be used to play Scene Lists. An iPad is best for full editing.
L.E.D. Lab works with the following LED controllers:
● PixelPusher (our favorite)
It can also display to an external monitor or projector, serving as a VJ app.
Extensive help information is provided for the rich user-interface:
● Help Explorer - Displays help text for any knob, slider, button, popup, list, or view inside a magnifying glass you drag around the screen. (See this in the last screen shot.)
● Help Topics - Little chapters to read about some of the more detailed functionalities.
● Help Tutorials
Fixed some rare crash bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
So much Creative Power
I have used this app and pixel pusher hardware for years and it just keeps getting better. Every time I think to myself... “I wish I could do______ with my light installation” I find a new menu or an update that expands the already impressive capability of this app. So much thought and attention to detail keeps me inspired and pushing my creativity. Chris has also promptly responded to countless emails to help me in the darkest times to get me back on track. Steep yet intuitive learning curve but the more time you spend with the app the more you realize just how powerful it is.
Great controller for server-managed LED arrays.
When one of the biggest issues with an app is that you wish that there was a desktop version because you can’t afford to dedicate an iPhone to it, you know you've done a good job.
This is a strikingly complete app, with some really good designs on it. It's got a high learning curve on a number of aspects, and while most issues are resolvable, there's a number of areas where you'll want to take some time to fiddle and practice with the setup before putting it into a production environment.
(For example, using it with a FadeCandy system required my contacting the dev - who responded promptly, so more kudos there!)
One important note - as of my last testing, it does not know Bonjour/ZeroConf, so you NEED to know the IP of your server to connect. You can't give it a machine name as the address.
All in all, it's a fine piece of work, and you can test your setup before purchasing the full packages. Highly recommended.
Great software and great ongoing support
I have been using the software with my PixelPusher since 2015. I left my unit hardware sit for a couple years and when I tried to get it working again with L.E.D. Lab I ran into problems. Christopher gave me great support in helping me get the hardware up and running. Now the software works like a charm. Love it when you deal with real pro's.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Christopher Schardt
- 29.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2020 Christopher Schardt
- In-App Purchases
- LED Display $19.99
- LED Artist Pack $59.99
- Everything Pack $209.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.