LeafByte measures leaf area and herbivory quickly and accurately. Take a picture of a leaf and a scale to measure total leaf area and leaf area consumed.
- Saves your data in a convenient spreadsheet on your phone or in Google Drive
- Analyzes leaves of almost any size or shape
- Uses freehand drawing to reconstruct missing leaf margins
- Can measure dark plant material (such as leaves) on a white background or light plant material (such as petals) on a dark background
- Reads and records all major barcodes
- Automatically corrects skew in photos taken at an angle
- When data is added to Google Sheets, numbers are properly recognized as numbers
- When Google Sheets are created, headers are frozen
- The "Back" button is now more accurately labeled "Save" on the Settings page
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A Botanist Dream
If anyone has spent countless hours using software like ImageJ, this will make your life a lot easier. A great app to use in the field or after collections have been made. It has made my research project a lot more efficient! Easy to use, straight to the point, and all the better that it directly saves your data to Google Drive. My only issue was after using it for a large sample size it began to close the app after adding a new sample, but the data double saved on my Google Sheets document so no information was ever lost. Perhaps just a small bug from over-usage since the app is relatively new! But overall a great app!!
Developer Response ,
We are glad that you found the the app helpful and easy to use! I am sorry that the app has been crashing when you have a large sample size. We will try to fix the bug ASAP. If you have a moment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the version of the app you are using and the device you are using. It would also be helpful to know how many samples you process before it starts crashing.
East, fast and accurate
Disclaimer: I know the developers of this app.
Compared to other methods of measuring herbivory (ie, manual: grid method), I find this method faster. I am also more confident that it is accurate and less prone to user error. It also quickly collects several metrics (total leaf area, % damage) that I previously did not calculate due to labor constraints, but that is very useful information to have. I love that the data is automatically entered into a spreadsheet and that leaf images are saved!
I used this app to measure the area of hundreds of strawberry leaves, and it worked beautifully! With several people and I working on it, we got it done in a few hours using this app. To do this manually would have taken days. I couldn’t find any other apps that were free and this easy to use, so I would highly recommend LeafByte for measuring leaf area!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.