Join over 50 million people already using Memrise to learn as fast as humanly possible. Learn to speak a new language while having fun. Let real native speakers teach you their language from the streets of their home town through our Learn with Locals video clips. Sound just like one of them and impress the hell out of yourself and your friends.
Give us a try – your first lesson's on the house.
Choose your language:
Spanish, French, Japanese, German, Korean, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Arabic, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Polish, Turkish or Danish.
Why learn a new language with Memrise?
We've got killer learning science behind the scenes. It speeds up your learning and helps you remember your new words, as if your mind keeps hitting the save button. Not that you'd notice. You're too busy watching fun video clips, seeing real locals in bucket-list destinations and playing little quiz-type games. The opposite of textbook learning.
Wherever you Memrise, you're a million miles from the classroom.
The app gets you speaking like a local. Jut imagine: you're in the moment, a local wants to talk. Do you freeze up? No. Not on our watch. You recall the key phrases you learned. You speak naturally. Not perfect but it's still good banter. You aren't worried. You're just going for it. You're off-the-charts confident.
Download the Memrise app to:
- Learn with locals: we took real native speakers and shrunk them into the app. Your miniature friends help you learn fun, conversational phrases. A few swear words too.
- Practice games: our science does one-to-one coaching with your mind, while you have fun with Speed Review, Listening Skills, Difficult Words and Classic Review.
- Improve your pronunciation: so when you say 'beaucoup' (a lot) you never accidentally say it 'beau cul' (nice ass). Record yourself and our smart tech will tell you if you got it right or need to try again.
- Learn anywhere: download your course to learn in places that don't have signal and seem to be stuck in the 80s.
- Build an entertaining habit: learn as much or as little as you want. You only need 5 minutes a day to improve. Perfect for making your loo break a lot more fun.
You need a Memrise subscription to access all courses and features. But the courses and features that are available vary depending on the language of your device.
• Once your purchase is confirmed, your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account.
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless you cancel at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• Your account is charged for renewal within 24-hours before the current subscription period ends.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewals by going to your Account Settings on the App Store.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to that publication.
Follow us on social media for inspiration on your foray into the language learning world:
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/memrise/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/memrise
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/memrise/
What's new this week:
- Bug fixes
- General UX improvements
- Behind-the-scenes enhancements
- Gentle south easterly winds brought partly sunny weather
- S&P 500 and Nasdaq rally to record closing highs
- Anya told Joyce that Brian is in love with Brittany and now Joyce is jealous because she likes Brian and Brian actually likes Anya and things are getting heated... it's very complicated.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
With Memrise, language learning’s a game—the irresistible kind that anyone can pick up and play. It teaches you everyday words and phrases—perfect for your next trip abroad—and reinforces them with fun quizzes and playful images. We get an awesome sense of progress every time we use it.
Best Learning App!!!
Memrise is really good! It has similar learning styles with other apps, the flash card style memorization, but it also has audio and the “robots” saying the words sound very human, they are male and female voices so you can catch some of the nuances of each. One of the best features is it has video of natives saying the words. You can keep repeating the video until you have really understood the words. This helped immensely in my Japanese lessons. The interface is really good too, easy to use, intuitive for practicing specific things, you can focus on just listening, spelling/writing/reading even your own pronunciation. They recently added video of writing the hiragana and katakana. Now I can see the stroke order, and practice reading people’s handwriting and have more ideas of what it’s gonna look like on a billboard or sign here in Japan. I’m really really pleased with this app. Oh, and to top it off, you can download the lessons so they will be available offline. I really can study anywhere. I thought 60$ for the year was reasonably priced, but I was bummed I didn’t see the 100$ unlimited, I think I would have liked to have bought that instead. This app beats the others, in my opinion by a long shot. You have to download all the free ones and practice each just to get a similar well roundedness that Memrise has, and then you still won’t get the most useful feature, the videos. I would recommend it to everyone trying to learn Japanese!!! Go Memrise!!!
Developer Response ,
Hi StingraeC, Thank you for your feedback! We love you're enjoying Memrise. If the "robots" sound very human is because they are! :) We use real humans for our videos and audio clips so you can enjoy a full immersive experience. The Japanese course is one of our favourites too! And so are the Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian, Korean, Russian, German, English... :) Keep on learning!
Choose this one
I have downloaded and tried all the Spanish apps and this one is by far the best. There are several things I like about it: 1) It has lots of repetition and review of previous lessons, which is really what you need to learn a language. I have taken a Spanish class and used apps and they want to move you along so fast that you forget what you learned before. 2) The quality of the videos with local people is better and holds your attention more than any of the other apps, and gives you multiple different dialects to hear and the body language that goes along with it. This is probably the most natural way to learn other than actually being with people speaking Spanish. 3) They give you the basic meaning translation and the literal translation which I really appreciate. Even Spanish textbooks will not do this which I find frustrating. They want you to memorize the meaning without actually understanding the words you are saying. I feel if you want to understand a language you need to know exactly what you are saying. Thank you! Nobody elae does this. 4) The subscription fee is reasonable, and they don’t constantly harass you. They give you a good sample before they ask you to subscribe. There are lots of other apps that charge more and are way less quality. I am really happy I found this one.
- 262.8 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2015 Memrise
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Language Learning Plan $8.99
- Memrise Subscription Offer $44.99
- Memrise Subscription Offer $89.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.