This sublime collection of drawings of human anatomy by Leonardo da Vinci is one of the greatest treasures from the Royal Collection of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle. All 268 pages from Leonardo's notebooks are presented here at the highest resolution, optimised for the pin-sharp retina display of the iPad. For the first time it is possible for anyone with an iPad to own and explore this remarkable testament to Leonardo's scientific and artistic genius.
This new digital edition has been specially created for the iPad by Touch Press, publishers of The Elements and Solar System, working in close partnership with the Royal Collection. The app provides the following special features:
• Beautiful interactive book interface
• All 268 of Leonardo’s anatomical drawings pinch-zoomable at high resolution
• Takes full advantage of the iPad's retina display
• A magic spyglass to decode Leonardo’s mirror writing
• Touch any of Leonardo's extensive notes to read in situ a typeset English translation
• Eleven story chapters, written by Martin Clayton, Senior Curator of Prints and Drawings at Windsor Castle, explaining Leonardo’s anatomical investigations and presenting over 70 selected works with interactive features
• Integrated 3D anatomical models from world-leading medical animators Primal Pictures, carefully matched to Leonardo’s illustrations and made interactive using rotational technology
• Expert interviews discussing the significance of Leonardo’s anatomical discoveries
• Comprehensive catalogue text for all drawings in the exhibition Leonardo da Vinci: The Mechanics of Man at The Queen’s Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse (2 August – 10 November 2013)
• Intelligent keyword searching and collection navigation via a human body interface
This beautiful interactive edition of Leonardo da Vinci's anatomical notebooks transcends the printed page. Here Leonardo's work is presented in a way that is both illuminating and a pleasure to explore. This is an edition for the 21st Century in a digital form that the archetypal Renaissance Man would most certainly have appreciated and approved.
Winner of the 2013 Webby Award, Education and Reference Tablet App.
Winner of the 2012 British Book Design and Production Awards, Best Use of MultiMedia.
Winner of the 2012 Lovie Awards (Gold), Education and Reference Tablet App.
Please note that a small number of Leonardo da Vinci's anatomical drawings are sexually explicit and parental guidance is advised.
New iPad Pro support added.
Bug fixes and optimizations.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is amazing
I love it. This app gives users a chance to peer into the mind of history’s greatest thinker.
The First Essential "Art Book" App
As a passionate lover of "real" art books, I've been skeptical about whether an app would ever come close. Well? "Leonardo da Vinci: Anatomy" has, and it goes further. Featuring ALL 268 pages from the show of at the Royal Collection, London, in super sharp retina display ready resolution, complete with the ability to zoom in, and translate Leonardo's famous "backwards" notations, it's a true treasure trove for art lovers, art students, as well as those in medical fields. It's a benchmark for other art book/new media publishers, and I look forward to seeing what this infant medium of art apps will produce going forward. It's so exceedingly well done that it's probably a more complete experience than an attendee to the actual show will get, which makes probably missing it in person a lot easier to take, while providing a lasting reference and ongoing learning experience.
It's overwhelming it's so beautiful
I am nearly speechless with how amazed I am at this app. I read a review on a blog and after much thought decided to take a chance on a fourteen dollar app. It is beautifully presented, elegant and thorough. If you an artist and want to study the brush strokes and lines, then it's exceptional. There's lots of information and the 3d interactive anatomy illustrations are brilliantly done. I don't even want to see it all in one sitting because I want to savor it! Seriously, if you are an artist, this is a must have!
Only complaint is I really dislike the sounds and can't see where you can turn them off. They are annoying and interrupt the elegance of the book. But it's not a deal breaker.
Lovely piece of work.
- Touch Press Inc
- 1.9 GB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © TouchPress Ltd, 2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.