A new way to experience classical music. Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts the world-renowned Philharmonia Orchestra, performing extracts from eight works representing three centuries of symphonic music.
• An orchestra at your command: Experience classical music like never before with fascinating features, including video, synchronized score, simplified score and commentary by Esa-Pekka Salonen.
• Expert explanations: World-class musicians explain their role in the orchestra and demonstrate how their instruments work. Use a keyboard to play samples of the instruments, and view each one in glorious detail with 360° rotations.
• Discover the BeatMap: This groundbreaking visualization of the performances shows different sections of the orchestra pulse in time with the music, helping you understand the complexity of each piece. Hold down your finger to hear different sections of the orchestra in isolation.
• Unparalleled access: Watch beautiful multi-camera video of the acclaimed Philharmonia Orchestra, and switch effortlessly between different angles and sections of the orchestra.
• Discover the story: Read insightful text on the pieces, composers and instruments specially written by Mark Swed, music critic of the LA Times.
• Haydn: Symphony No 6
• Beethoven: Symphony No 5
• Berlioz: Symphony Fantastique
• Debussy: Prélude à l’après midi d’un faune
• Mahler: Symphony No 6
• Stravinsky: The Firebird
• Lutosławski: Concerto for Orchestra
• Salonen: Violin Concerto
If you enjoy The Orchestra, don’t forget to rate it and leave a review – it really helps!
Optimizations for iOS 12
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Greatly enhances appreciation for the music
So far I have only explored the Salonen of the eight pieces, but being able to see at all times the 1) soloist, 2) conductor, and 3) the entire orchestra represented as light pulses where they are seated, with 4) various musicians playing highlighted parts in the fourth video box simultaneously with the curated score below and subtitled commentary from either conductor or soloist for the section being played, has greatly enhanced my understanding of and appreciation for this fantastic work. While unfortunately only two of the four movements are represented, this one piece alone was worth the price of the app. I just saw it performed in open rehearsal and will attend the concert tonight. This app really captured the experience.
This app does a nice job of allowing you to follow songs with detail on the various instruments. The app was easy to navigate, haven't found any bugs thus far. The fidelity of the audio and video were both good on my iPad.
Now one for jazz
This is a marvelous tool for helping a novis like me understand classical music performance. Thank you.
Now I need to also learn about AMERICAN Classical Music (Jazz) in the same way. Imagine a similar construct with pieces from The great AMERICAN Jazz composers of the major periods.
There is something about not only hearing music but seeing the people play the music as one reads the sheet music and listens to overlaid commentary that is remarkably EYE 😳 opening.
This is a real breakthrough on my iPad Pro
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Amphio Limited
- 2 GB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Classical Apps Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Solo Audio $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.