A child’s language and literacy development is a big deal—for all of us! So why do we start with something as small as a 100-word story? As Aesop said: “Good things come in Little Story packages.” Okay, so maybe he said something more like small packages, but we do believe Aesop would love what our Little Stories can do. After all, he believed in the power of a very short story. And so do we.
Why 100 words? For one thing, it keeps a story simple and manageable. A child quickly reaches “the end” and feels a sense of accomplishment right away. But it’s more than that. When we kept a story small, we realized that structures stood out and speech practice focused. Little felt so very big!
So, we created 82 engaging stories and combined them with incredible illustrations—that’s what your young user will notice. But, you will notice that we are so much more than a good read. Each story is a package—a package bursting with supporting curriculum. We promise to teach you how to teach with story as you push those buttons and swipe away!
Yes. You will see how a carefully crafted story is loaded with potentials for learning. But when you are sitting side by side with your young user, you will feel how a small story can be both wonder-filled and fun.
Here is the package that will impress any student:
• A variety of entertaining characters in all kinds of story situations.
• Beautiful, full-color illustrations.
• Personable audio recordings that allow a child to explore the stories independently.
• Wonderful story-talk activities that help turn the reading experience into a mini book club.
• Fun activities such as tongue twisters and coloring pages.
Here is the package that is filled to the brim for you:
• Sound-saturated stories to tune a child’s ears to phonemes.
• Reading fluency tools that track, graph, and show reading progress.
• A practical assessment feature that allows you to mark a child’s reading, vocabulary, and speech errors and convert them into flash cards for practice.
• The capability to highlight specific word groups (sight words, phonemic target words, and challenge words) in the story text or to pull them into flash cards.
• WH Questions and Let’s Talk activities that cultivate comprehension and conversation.
• Sequencing practice that subtly guides a child in narrative structuring.
• A retelling activity that is reinforced by a straightforward narrative model—a tool that can help a child understand story structure better than many adults.
• Story data including verb tense and point of view to help guide language practice.
• Story sorting to help you locate stories by title, theme, reading level, and sound.
• An emphasis on the R, L, S, and Th sounds (the most difficult sounds to master in speech).
• Scoring and reporting features to monitor and share user progress.
• And more…
Children have taught us that potential matters so much more than size. In fact, small has its very own kind of power. That has been our mindset throughout the development of our Little Stories—the power of children and the power of small stories. That mindset has made all the difference.
For professional teachers and speech-language pathologists:
Our curriculum specifically supports reading fluency and comprehension as well as receptive and expressive language objectives.
READING AND LITERACY
• Reading fluency
• Reading comprehension
• Story structure awareness
• Story tradition and genre exploration
RECEPTIVE LANGUAGE SKILLS
• Attention and listening
• Vocabulary acquisition
• Story structure and comprehension
• Question processing
EXPRESSIVE LANGUAGE SKILLS
• Speech production
• Phonemic awareness
• Story sequencing
• Story retelling
• Question answering
We are confident you will enjoy sharing our Little Stories. More important, you will love watching your young learner make big leaps in language and literacy development!
Optimization for all iPad screen sizes and some minor bug fixes. Happy reading!
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing app for Speech Therapy!
As a school-based SLP, I have MANY things I absolutely LOVE about this app (and company). I already have Articulation Station Pro, and Articulation Test Center (two apps developed by this company) and have been extremely happy with both apps. I use them very often! When I saw Little Stories in the App Store, I had to try it out. I downloaded this free lite version and quickly realized I needed to just purchase the pro version. I have so many students on my caseload that can produce phonemes at the phrase and sentence level and needed something to target one step above before conversational speech. This app is perfect for that, and my students love it! It targets very common phonemes (/L/, /L/ blends, /s/, /s/ blends, /th/ (voiced and voiceless), /r/, and /r/ blends. The stories are packed with these sounds and before they read the story, they can practice the target words using the flash cards. Here’s the amazing bonus you get with this app...you can also target reading and LANGUAGE! :) You can check reading fluency and comprehension with this app. There are 4 different comprehension activities to choose from: Story Retell, Sequencing, WH questions, and story talk. I have nothing but good things to say about this app. Please make more apps, Little Bee Speech!!!
Another terrific app by Little Bee!!
As an SLP, I love all Little Bee speech apps! I’ve been wanting a new language app and this is definitely my new favorite. This app can be used for SO many different clients. I love the coloring option for younger clients and the sequencing and wh- questions for older clients. Little Bee products are so carefully designed which means that these apps always have the tools I need easily available. I can’t recommend these products enough!
Developer Response ,
**AWESOME!!** Thank you for your review! We love hearing from SLPs who use our apps. We love that you are using it with so many clients and hope that you continue to have success with it. All the best!
I love Little Bee speech apps and this one does does not disappoint. I love the comprehension questions and activities with each story. This app allows data to be saved and emailed to parents in an easy to read and understand format.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Little Bee Speech
- 581.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Little Bee Speech
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to Pro $59.99
- Upgrade to Pro $29.99
- Upgrade to Pro $35.99
- Space Spaghetti $0.99
- Lemonade Lizard $0.99
- Phonemic Target S $6.99
- Snowball Fight $0.99
- Isabel Goes to Whale School $0.99
- The Three Little Possums $0.99
- Emily and Leah $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.