Sharpen your sense of time! liveBPM is the tempo monitoring tool for drummers, bands and DJs. It detects music and beats via the microphone and continuously displays the current tempo in beats per minute (BPM). It is easy to use and delivers high-quality results while being energy efficient.
=== What users said about liveBPM ===
John Walden, freelance musician and music technology journalist at musicappblog.com:
"There are three obvious applications for the app. First, it would make a brilliant practice tool for a drummer, allowing them to monitor just how good they are at keeping a steady tempo without the aid of a click track to guide them. Second, sat beside your kit during a performance, it would allow you to judge just how well you are hitting the ideal tempo for each song in your set. It’s not just drummers that can benefit for liveBPM as the third use is in mapping the tempo – and any tempo changes – in commercial recordings. While this is useful for drummers, it is instructional for almost any musician."
"I used this at my last band practice and wasn't expecting it to work. I couldn't believe how quickly and accurately it started tracking the bpm, even despite the very loud volume of our music."
"I am a professional drummer and I have been looking for something like this for years! Unless your playing with backing tracks or recording, Playing with a Click is too Mechanical. This app allows the tempo to breathe, and its like a little angel on your shoulder telling you the band is speeding up or slowing down. It is totally worth the money."
"I have used this about five gigs now and have quit using my previous tempo meter. I used both for a few gigs to test the accuracy. Dead on. Thanks! Every drummer should use this."
"This has been very helpful for recording. thanks!"
=== Detailed Description ===
This is a tool designed for professional use:
- Well-tested beat detection engine guarantees trustworthiness
- Can handle most genres
- Produces results accurate to within 0.1 BPM under the following conditions:
-- The tempo is constant or almost constant
-- Strong impulses are defining the beat (drums, accentuated rhythm instruments like bass/guitar, etc.)
- Tempo curve shows the development of tempo over time
- Multiple zoom modes to show last 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes
- Advanced audio spectrum analysis via FFT
- More accessible and usually more accurate than BPM counters that function through tapping
- Low battery drain thanks to high performance code and efficient algorithms
Using it as a musician:
- Use it as an objective tempo reference like a metronome
- It actually has several advantages over a metronome:
-- You are not tied to a click, giving you more flexibility
-- Helps you use tempo changes to enhance your musical expression
-- With blind tests, it can massively improve your timing confidence, which is especially important if you are in a tempo leading role (e.g. drummer)
- Discover how/whether your favorite artists use tempo changes
- Measure and improve your time-keeping skills
- Identify slowdowns and speedups while practicing your instrument
- Always be in control of the tempo during your live gigs and rehearsals
- Power Button: For freezing the tempo curve and minimizing battery drain
- Clear Button: Clears the tempo curve
- Slider: Adjusts the target tempo range (i.e. 80-160 BPM)
- Zoom Buttons: Switch between zoom modes for the tempo curve. (2-30 minutes)
- You can check and improve the detection by clapping loud to the beat. Also, results can be improved by plugging in a suitable external microphone.
- You can support my work by rating it on the App Store. If you have questions and/or suggestions, feel free to contact me via e-mail or facebook.
- added 64 bit support to improve performance on current hardware and to ensure compatibility for iOS 11
- fixed a bug where during startup, the audio output would move to the small speaker on the iPhone when not using line-out
- updated connection to iOS audio, using the native sampling rate of 48 kHz
- now using the measurement mode, minimizing the amount of system-supplied signal processing
Version 2.0 is work in progress, featuring a new improved beat detection engine. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in beta-testing (via facebook or dev.daniel.bach googlemail com).
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Thanks for Update
Daniel, thanks for the update. With the last updates from Apple, I thought it might have killed your app. This is such a handy app. It's like having a speed radar gun for your band. Much handier than a click track as you get a feel for the speed of the whole band. I just attach my phone to my kit with a simple mount and I always know where we are on timing. I'm surprised this app isn't used by every band. Look forward to 2.0!!!!
Stop the bpm questioning
Not so many musicians have a perfect feel for tempo. “We” as base players and drummers are the guides. This app is a must have and it closes out the complaints from singers and other not perfect timers. I (the drummer) set the tempo for the band. Without the app I was not able to SHOW the factual tempo and that is where it gets annoying sometimes. Now the tempo played is not a “feeling” anymore but a fact. Made my live easier. And I can see when I screw up before anybody else 😉. And yes sometimes the singer of solo players want some freedoms, that’s fine too! We than can show them how much freedom we gave them.
Detecting a click tract bpm
I use it only to detect the click track count in for the backing tracks I purchase. Some producers publish the tempo but most don’t which makes it unclear visually where sections start and stop.
I can have it listen to the count off click audio, set the discovered bpm in Reaper, load a track and see how it lines up many bars down the line. If the tune is played in good time, everything will line up visually and the snap function will be useable.
Live bpm worked perfectly for this simple task.
The developer, Daniel Bach, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Daniel Bach
- 880.6 KB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2017 Daniel Bach
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.