Intuitive yet powerful, Lumos accurately predicts the position of the sun and moon at any time, on any day, in any place. Whether you’re planning a photo shoot, a wedding, or a solar panel installation, tracking the sun and moon has never been easier!
Lumos is divided into six main modules:
• The augmented reality view harnesses the power of AR to visually project past, present, or future sun and moon positions (and moon phases!) onto your surroundings, letting you perfectly visualize your plans.
• The map view overlays the sun and moon positions for a given time and location onto a map of that location, letting you make plans from afar.
• The Street View mode works like the AR view, but it takes advantage of Google Street View to allow you to envision sun and moon positions for remote locations (requires Lumos Pro).
• The calendar view displays a simple list of rise/set times and moon phases throughout the year, letting you see the big picture at a glance. Tap a row to see the detailed ephemeris for that day.
• The notifications module lets you sign up to receive notifications for significant solar and lunar events, including: astronomical, nautical, and civil dawn/dusk, blue hour, golden hour, sunrise/set, solar noon, moon rise/set, lunar transit, and lunar perigee/apogee (requires Lumos Pro).
• The shadow length view calculates the exact length of the shadow an object will cast on a given time and day, letting you see the result both visually and numerically. You can also calculate the height of an object if you know the length of its shadow.
With an affordable one-time purchase of Lumos Pro, you can also:
• Search for a location by name or manually enter coordinates
• Save locations for later reference or offline use*
• Take notes on a saved location and have them readily available the next time you view it
*The map view and Street View do not currently support offline use
NOTE: The sun and moon positions calculated by Lumos are accurate to within a small fraction of a degree. However, as with any augmented-reality app, the accuracy of the projection is dependent on the underlying hardware. If you are seeing inaccurate positions, please calibrate your device's compass and ensure that you are not near any sources of electromagnetic interference (e.g. microwaves, computers, car engines, high voltage lines). Phone cases containing batteries are known to cause compass interference. You can also use the visual calibration tool to align the projection with sun’s current position. Please feel free to contact us if you continue to have issues.
- Fixed a bug in the way date pickers were presented on iOS 14
- Updated libraries and SDKs
Ratings and Reviews
The eclipse is coming and this app is awesome
The eclipse will happen here in Portland Oregon in a few days… And I was busy trying to figure out where the Sunil be in the sky so I can find a proper viewing position… Unfortunately it was cloudy today and I wasn't able to locate the sun. I figured there had to be a son tracker app in the App Store so I went searching for one that was free… Of all the free apps for tracking the Sun and Moon this one hands-down is the best. It's virtual reality option is especially handy. You can type in a time and a date and it will show you exactly where the sun will be located at that time. Great job guys keep up the great work.
Worth the money for pro
Great app for any photographer that uses sunlight. (A good majority) So helpful when imagining scenes and camera positions in a remote location for a future date. My only complaint is that the app doesn’t think I have compass calibration on, so augmented reality does not work. I checked my settings, and I do have compass calibration on. Devs, I am running on iPhone 6 at iOS 12.2. Please see if there is another function call for my hardware/iOS version that will work. Thanks.
EDIT: ignore my issue. I opened it again after several uses and the AR started working and showing sun path. Updated to 5 stars
Terrific Photography Assistant
The first BIG PLUS for me is the super fast customer support. I had two questions and sent LUMOS the Customer Support form. Within two hours, the founder of the App responded with the answers I needed.
I used LUMOS yesterday to find the “golden hour” and sunlight location for a shoot on Austin’s Sixth Street. I also was able to install LUMOS on both my iPad and iPhone SE for one price. Already paid for itself.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Luminous Labs LLC
- 39.3 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2020 Luminous Labs LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Lumos Pro $3.99
- 7-day Trial $0.00