Sharpen your chess skills!
Beginners and experienced players alike will enjoy solving the chess puzzles included in this app. All of the puzzles were hand picked and were either taken from actual games or are compositions inspired by actual games!
The app includes 500 interactive puzzles ranging from mate in 2 moves all the way to mate in 26 moves! The object is to finish each puzzle by forcing a checkmate in a given number of moves. These puzzles are fun to play and can be enjoyed at your leisure on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
All of the puzzles in this app were taken from the book 'A History of Problems: Memphis Chess Club' by Kenn E. Thompson and Dwight K. Weaver (2011).
Other features include:
- Timing clock is displayed while you are working on each puzzle. How long you take to solve a puzzle is stored.
- Lots of options: 7 chess piece sets and 7 different colors schemes including wood and marble.
- Social Gaming: Leaderboards to compare the number of puzzles you have solved with your friends and other players. Facebook integration - including the ability to post your progress and ask your friends for help on a puzzle.
- Universal app - works on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad - high resolution graphics all around (where supported).
For even more chess puzzle challenges check out these apps:
- Mate in 1 Puzzles
- Mate in 2 Puzzles
- Mate in 3 Puzzles
- Mate in 4+ Puzzles
- Dark Mode support
- Support for all new iPhone and iPad screen resolutions (+ MacOS Apple Silicon ready)
- iOS 14 compatibility improvements
- Bug fixes
- iOS 12+ required for this update
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great little program, but...
I found all the problems entertaining. I found a number of alternate and quicker solutions to a few problems, but two of the problems had no solutions or were presented improperly (for instance black to play, instead of white to play)
Mate in so many real moves
What makes this collection of chess puzzles stand apart from others is these appear to be taken from real positions in chess games. The player and opponent names are given along with their rating, if known, at the time. This makes the puzzles more realistic as opposed to the utter nonsense of those fabricated setups we've seen before, made up purely for the sake of a puzzle. Lastly, this collection is pretty large at 500 puzzles and they range from mate-in-one to mate-in-eighteen (I believe). Thankfully, the number of puzzles are plentiful for us mere mortals on the lower end of the calculation scale. I will add there is also a timer and a hint system. The board and pieces are somewhat customizable as well. Nice app. Fun and challenging.
These nice little challenges help me improve my game. A good mixture for me of easy and hard chess puzzles.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.