Phyto helps you learn to identify phytoplankton and their proper pronunciation. It includes the most common marine and freshwater phytoplankton.
Phyto Version 2.0 - Completely redesigned!
- Many new species added with more details and photos.
- Freshwater and Marine species now included
- Flash Cards and Fast Phyto: two games to help learn how to identify phytoplankton
- Species Identification Guide
- Phytoplankton Monitoring Network volunteers can submit sample observation results
- Embedded news and information browser
- Universal App: now works well on both the iPhone and iPad (support for all screen sizes and resolutions)
This application was developed by the Phytoplankton Monitoring Network which is sponsored by the Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research division of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- Fixed color issues
- iPad guide spacing issue
- Added over 50 new pictures
- Added a Glossary
- Changed name of Anabaena spp. to Dolichospermum spp.
- Added Raphidophyte type
- Added a new species: Protoceratium
- Corrected the names of Ceratium genius to Tripos for 3 species
- Changed the term Marine to Coastal as it encompasses estuarine/brackish as well as full on ocean
- Changed the sample tab to use web-based sample entry (retained legacy data in settings)
- Updated websites on the News/Info tab
- Updates and bug fixes to support the latest versions of iOS
- Changed iOS minimum to iOS 15 (from iOS 8)
Ratings and Reviews
I really love the easy picture references and flash cards and pronunciations. I just really wish there were more freshwater species included. There’s very few but the concept is stellar.
Well designed and very helpful!
This is a great app; really helpful, and well designed. I love the flash card options and the guide progression starting with general body shape and working into more detail!
It would be really helpful to see what magnification is used for photos, and of course to see more species added to this app overall.
However, overall this is a great app and very appreciated!!!
Phyto introduces you to the tiny world of phytoplankton
Based on information from the Phytoplankton Monitoring Network developed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), this application does what it says it does: it is an identification guide for phytoplankton and includes spoken pronunciation of each type, and multiple photos taken with a light microscope. In flash card mode, you can use it to hone your skills at phytoplankton identification. A little app for little creatures.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Gano Technologies LLC
- 80.8 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Shawn E. Gano
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.