Phyto helps you learn to identify phytoplankton and their proper pronunciation. It includes the most common marine and freshwater phytoplankton.
Phyto Version 2.0 - Completely redesigned!
- Many new species added with more details and photos.
- Freshwater and Marine species now included
- Flash Cards and Fast Phyto: two games to help learn how to identify phytoplankton
- Species Identification Guide
- Phytoplankton Monitoring Network volunteers can submit sample observation results
- Embedded news and information browser
- Universal App: now works well on both the iPhone and iPad (support for all screen sizes and resolutions)
- 64bit compatible
This application was developed by a volunteer member of the Phytoplankton Monitoring Network which is sponsored by the Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research division of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- Support for new device resolutions (iPhone XS Max, XR, iPad 11", etc.)
- iOS 12 compatibility updates
Ratings and Reviews
Well designed and very helpful!
This is a great app; really helpful, and well designed. I love the flash card options and the guide progression starting with general body shape and working into more detail!
It would be really helpful to see what magnification is used for photos, and of course to see more species added to this app overall.
However, overall this is a great app and very appreciated!!!
Phyto introduces you to the tiny world of phytoplankton
Based on information from the Phytoplankton Monitoring Network developed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), this application does what it says it does: it is an identification guide for phytoplankton and includes spoken pronunciation of each type, and multiple photos taken with a light microscope. In flash card mode, you can use it to hone your skills at phytoplankton identification. A little app for little creatures.
Interesting app but would like more details
This app has nice pictures and the pronunciation is an interesting addition but it would be so much more valuable if it also had some natural history info about the plankton and where it is found, etc.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.