Liar's dice is an easy-to-learn game requiring the ability to deceive and detect an opponent's deception. Michigan Liar's Dice provides you the chance to play this fun and challenging (and free) game of Liars Dice against a top artificial intelligence (AI) opponent.
Designed for both casual and serious players, Michigan Liar's Dice can be played against one to three opponents, and provides a simple interface that helps you make your best bid. The game has the complete set of bids including pushing, exact (spot on), pass, and special rules when a player gets to one die.
This game was developed by the Soar research group at the University of Michigan, and uses Soar as the underlying engine for the game AI. Soar is a general cognitive architecture and has been used for developing a wide range of intelligent agents for training, computer games, and robotics.
The game AI uses probabilities, heuristics, and even a model of the opponent to determine its bids (but does not include any learning, yet!). Michigan Liars Dice is the first iPhone app powered by Soar. Learn more about Soar at sitemaker.umich.edu/soar.
Hello, awesome Liar’s Dice players! This update contains a significant number of awesome features and improvements.
== New ==
• Increased number of AI players from 4 to 8.
• iPad support!
• Game Center support (Achievements!)
• A tutorial to help you figure out the interface!
• A history screen. You can now view what happened earlier in the round and previous rounds!
== Improvements ==
• Revamped interface! Now in the famed Maize and Blue of the University of Michigan
• Faster AIs. We’ve taken that time to improve how the Soar AIs play and they’re a lot faster.
• Better AIs. We’ve updated the Soar Agents to be harder.
• Local player is now highlighted in red for better visibility
== Eliminated numerous bugs including crashes and hangs ==
Ratings and Reviews
Look, it’s a free version of a niche dice game. It’s got ugly UI. It’s got ugly graphics. There are no rules settings. But if you want to lie to a crowd of AI opponents (and get lied to), this ends up a fun way to waste time.
If the developer ever gets inspired to update this, would love to see options for 1’s not being wild, exact not giving an extra die (and, thus, always being an option), and to not push/show dice.
Works alright and looks clean. But it is not the best and other problems have already been posted in the reviews.
Game doesn't work for me, support doesn't work either
Played one game. It miscounted the number of dice on the table, whether there were wilds or not.
After the first full game, the AI would no longer play. Starting any game, after my opening move, the AI would do nothing, the wheel spinning indefinitely.
I turned on soar logging and tried to send the AI engine logs to the developer, but the email address bounced back as invalid.
- The University of Michigan
- 8 MB
Requires iOS 8.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Simulated Gambling
- © 2012 The Regents of the University of Michigan
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.